Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Sunday, January 10, 2016

A Pleasure and a Necessity





“Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.”-- Voltaire 




Days this week have been tiresome, trying this new method of eating, trying one recipe and then another with very little satisfaction. As someone who enjoys cooking, it is more than challenging to cook and find my food unsatisfactory. 

Tonight's meal was a success, topped with a dessert all seven of us enjoyed -- Paleo Flourless Chocolate Cake (though it did have butter in it, which apparently some paleo eaters eat and some don't). I'd be curious to try it with coconut oil instead of butter, but I am including dairy, so it doesn't bother me. It was soooo chocolatey.

Dinner was Danielle Walker's Greek Burgers, made into little mini slightly flattened meatball/ burgers that we ate like gyros, some of us with pita, some of us with romaine lettuce leaves with tomatoes and tzatziki sauce, Danielle's grilled zucchini salad (in her cookbook Against All Grains, Meals Made Simple), and roasted potatoes. All the family liked the recipes, even those who don't give a fig about paleo eating. 

If you have questions about the recipes, leave a comment. I would definitely make this menu again, and I know my family will be asking for this cake again, and again.



9 comments:

  1. The burgers sound yummy. I have one of Danielle's cookbooks on my kindle which is not ideal, but I have liked the things I have made from it. I do love flourless chocolate cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought one book and borrowed one from the library. I like Meals Made Simple (the one I borrowed) best. The other is her new one (I think). The cake was kind of dry, though the batter was really moist. I left it in the oven and went to the store. My husband swears he got it out at first beep, but that dubious. I do think more eggs would help.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for trying it! Your blog is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that eating this way makes me feel fabulous but it definitely requires some planning, don't you find? I do love Danielle Walker's recipes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. My blog's updating in your sidebar--yay! Did you do anything to fix it or did the problem just work itself out?

      Delete
    2. I wish I felt better. Not a bit. :-( maybe too early, but I've also not lost an ounce. :'-(

      PS Blogger rechnology must have caught up. I didn't do anything.

      Delete
  4. I just realized that I have not visited here in awhile. I get so used to seeing you on Facebook. But I love your blog ... I love your tables for the holidays and just once would love to sit at one of them as a guest. (I think I just invited myself over. Oops!) I am back to eating Paleo-ish, too. I need a reset, and I am really trying to do what I can to feel better ... Your cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake looks amazing Barbara! Getting my cookbook out today!...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks amazing Barbara! Getting my cookbook out today!...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!