Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Yarn Along -- finished projects



Per Ginny's request, today is "show and tell." I only made one item to give as a gift for Christmas, though that one item took three months to knit. I guess it's a good thing it was my only gift. It was a Color Affection for my mother-in-law. She goes to Florida for a while after the new year and I thought it would be the perfect thing to wrap around her shoulders when she walks in the mornings and evenings. I really hope she likes it. I loved the yarn I used to knit it -- it was so soft -- Zen Yarn Garden Serenity Silk, in three shades. My notes are on my Ravelry page. I wish I had a picture of it on my mother-in-law, but she opened it on Christmas night and it was kind of a rush.





Two other items I finished recently were not gifts but are being saved for a new Etsy shop. I have to have a use for my anxiety-driven knitting, so I am starting a new shop with infant items. What's sweeter than knitting for a baby? I will also have handmade quilts in the shop, too, though it may take a year to grow my stock.











As for reading, I am currently reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult, although after reading the last three Picoult novels, I swore I wouldn't read another. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I am listening to Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, which has been a fascinating read (listen). 

Mostly though, I've been watching Christmas movies with Faith. Poor kid, the last little straggler, has no one to watch Christmas movies with -- the boys are too busy or uninterested. We started with It's a Wonderful Life about a week before Christmas, but I admit I watched the Bells of St. Mary back in November -- I just love that film, and it's really not about Christmas. We watched Jack Frost the other day and Charlie Brown Christmas and The Nativity Story yesterday. I've been working on her purple sweater while we watch. It's taking forever and I wish I could just forget about it, but the German in me won't let me quit. Doug and I usually watch Christmas in Connecticut, but the DVD seems to have been misplaced. It doesn't have much to do with Christmas, but it's a funny old film! Oh, and I forgot, Faith and I also watched Meet Me in St. Louis a couple weeks ago -- one of our perennial favorites. We need to watch Little Women before for the season is over.

Have you been knitting and reading? Or watching Christmas films? I'd love to know your favorites.


Join Ginny for more knitting and reading.



26 comments:

  1. The shawl is gorgeous. All the best with your new Etsy shop - your baby knitting looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your shawl it will be wonderful for Florida. Your baby blanket is so cute. I love watching Christmas videos too. Boys never do! Haha Glad you had fun with girl time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Yeah, sometimes we girls have to stick together. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Lovely Color Affection Shawl. I am sure it will be perfect for those Florida mornings and evenings! Love the baby knits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I sure hope all those stitches come to good use. If you're a knitter, you know what I mean.

      Delete
  4. Your shawl is beautiful! I also knit 1 Christmas gift this year which was also a shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it's hard to knit gifts unless you really know the recipient will love it. And shawls are a lot of knitting! ;-)

      Delete
  5. You just listed some of my favorite Christmas movies! We like The Polar Express and Elf here too, though not much can top "It's a Wonderful Life" which I'm itching to watch soon! I can't wait until my daughters are old enough to snuggle in and watch Christmas movies with me since my husband has little interest in most of them, so I end up watching alone after the kids go to bed - not as fun! Your Color Affection is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we did watch Elf. I forgot because I was baking cookies while we watched and had to keep going to the kitchen. I agree -- not as much fun alone.

      Delete
  6. The blanket and shawl is beautiful. After seeing all these projects I wished I made more Christmas gifts instead of buying them. Maybe next year?! Have a Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said in a comment above, I find it hard to knit for gifts unless the recipient has requested the item. Knitting is a real commitment if you're not certain the recipient will like it. I'm not sure if I hit the mark this year or not.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. The shawl you made is beautiful! I'm sure it will be cherished for a long time. Christmas time movies are my favorites. We recently got TCM and I can watch all the old classics. I have watched all the ones you mentioned but this year I couldn't find White Christmas. I love the cinematography (is that even a word?) in that movie. Happy knitting for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TMC is the best for movies -- always reliable. There's another I didn't mention and I can't remember the title, but it had Robert Mitchum in it, maybe Holiday Affair? Good movies -- the oldies.

      Happy knitting to you, too!

      Delete
  8. Visiting from Ginny's blog today. :) Your Color Affection is gorgeous! You have reminded me of a couple of movies that I want to watch before life gets back into its normal routine. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you think she liked the CA? I love your baby knitting. I hope we can get our shop moving this year and sell some of our adorable book blankies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful shawl!! Our favorite silly Christmas movie is A Christmas Story. My Dad loves it and now my daughter loves it because he does. :0) We also watch Its a Wonderful Life every year and The Polar Express.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and even the grown kids love A Christmas Story, but it's not my taste. They just laugh and laugh though! ;-)

      Delete
  11. The shawl is super gorgeous! I hope your mother in law loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your shawl is beautiful. I love the color gradations. Good luck with the Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my! That shawl! Beautiful.

    Good luck with the etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. I hope you had a wonderful Deutschland New Year's Eve and Day!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!