Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, August 18, 2014

Almost School Time Daybook




In the garden...
...children. Two of Faith's cousins are spending the day here and they are outside running with the dog and swinging and looking for great finds in the creek. I had to boot them off the computer to get them there, but they are so much happier getting fresh air.












I am thinking about...
... myself too much lately, too much navel gazing I think. Is this a mid-life thing? I don't know. I think it's a reaction to anxiety -- always wondering what is causing it. I imagine it's also a bit of a pity party, feeling neglected and rather misused by my family, just everyone acting on the assumption that I will do everything they need to have done, with no gratitude shown. I am having a hard time being Mother Mary, putting myself in her shoes and doing my job out of love rather than necessity and feeling put out.

I heard just a bit of Mother Angelica on the radio this morning and she was talking about Martha, of the Martha and Mary story. She said if Martha had known that millions of people in the years after her life would know the story of how she complained about her sister and the Lord scolded her she might have kept her mouth shut. I laughed out loud. Yes, I bet she would have. I am going to try to keep my mouth shut more, but I really am having a hard time changing my thoughts.


I am wearing...
...a bright orange, red and pink floral skirt and a pink v-neck with sandals.


I am reading...


I am creating...
...a new baby quilt, for a little dolly who is going to be adopted in the months ahead. I am waiting for the fabric I ordered for the backing to arrive to finish it.

I have scapular orders and an order for 11 Seven Sorrows chaplets to make asap so they can be in 11 hands for the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows on September 15. All creativity in the rosary department is on hold, as these are all identical.

I still haven't made the one bridesmaid dress we need for me to make in order to decide if I will make them all. It's starting to really stress me out and I might just see if Doug can do something with the kids one night so I can just dive in when I'm all alone.

I am also working on that knitting project for Christmas, and it's going rather quickly. Doug and I have been watching an episode of Downton every night because he never watched any of it. I save my knitting time for then.


At the school table...
...Noah starts school on Wednesday, which means I better get on the ball with schultütes. Faith will start in a week and I have all her books, with the exception of her math and lessons plans for math -- that's the only subject we enroll in. I have her compliance letter from the school district and an absolutely blank lesson plan book that needs to not be blank in a week -- another source of anxiety. So I'm blogging instead. Makes sense to me.


On the table...
...we had a delicious cookout last night, and I had a revelation of sorts about my food blog. I haven't posted in six months and I have really given up on it. I am not a food blogger. I don't cook anything extravagant and I rarely create my own recipes. But, I do still like to share good recipes. When I first started this blog I shared my recipes here, and I am going to go back to doing just that. Cooking is part of my everyday life, not something I get paid to do, or paid to write about.


Plans for the rest of the week...
...a coumadin clinic appointment this afternoon, a date with my son to go school supplies shopping, and then creating lesson plans and chaplets for the rest of the week.


A few of my favorite things...
...new pencils
...new books
...kids outdoors playing


Prayers sent heavenward for...
...my husband, in his new job, and my children
...our oldest son as he begins his adult life -- we moved him out on Saturday and into his own place, and while I am happy for him, it was a big step and a new stage in life for me
...our priests and religious, especially our parish priests, and Fr. Howe
...our dear friend, a former classmate to my husband, a priest, who has been diagnosed with colon cancer and is going through chemotherapy
...all the babies whose mothers are contemplating abortion this week, for a change of heart





15 comments:

  1. Thank you Barbara! I cannot wait to see the quilt and being able to give it to our girl. I hope you do share some recipes . . . I look forward to seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am anxious to get it to you, Kate! And stay tuned for recipes. ;-)

      Delete
  2. You might have been listening in on my rant about an hour ago...or maybe last night??!!?? I'll be 'thinking about' your words, but I have the same problem with my thoughts even if I can keep my words corralled.

    Hope the beginning of school goes well for your family. Yes, that cone shaped, gift-bearing tradition. I'll be taking a break from their use in our family this year...unless I get a wild, last minute spark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think the issue of feeling like a house maid (I am so tempted to get a uniform) is causing some depression in me, Suzanne, it's that much of a problem. I'm almost to the point of thinking I'd rather just stay in bed. Every day I have my own plans of how the day should go, but they are always so derailed by someone else's "needs." I know it's just a season of life, but it's bringing me down.

      I would have skipped the schultutes this year except they already asked about them.

      Delete
    2. Personal plans being derailed by other family members... May I just say, "Grrrrrrr!" whilst simultaneously pulling my hair out? :-) It's driving me crazy. I used to take the children places all the time, but now?

      The other night, I said, "I need a rich uncle to leave me some money so I can buy my own car. Wait a minute... A rich uncle DID leave me some money, and I DID use it to pay for the van.... The rest of you need to get your own car and leave mine alone!" I don't think that'll go anywhere, but a girl can dream. In the meanwhile, I'm not considering anybody else's schedules anymore. If I'm going and you're here, fine. If not, I'm sure the rest of us will have a lovely time anyway! Or something. :-)

      Delete
  3. Well, you're ahead of me - I'm still ordering a few books. :-)
    That Mother Angelica line really cracked me up. It is a sobering thought however, to think of how we will be remembered, our words and actions and attitude too. Sobering indeed.
    Hope your final planning goes well! Remember, you're not the only one facing those blank pages...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberlee. The pages are starting to fill...slowly.

      Delete
  4. You are busy indeed! I still haven't gotten all of our books in yet. Lesson plans still need to be created. I can't keep up with summer and I'm not sure why. Now it's almost over. Ugh. Trying not to be so Martha-ish myself. Hoping you are having a productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lot more than I to keep up with during the summer! I feel like what I have to do is so small compared to what you do, and yet I complain. Martha, Martha...
      ;-)

      Delete
  5. I really am having a hard time changing my thoughts.

    I would love for you to join us over at The Littlest Way.org as we read Paul's Letter of Joy for the next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see if St. Paul can't change my attitude!

      Delete
  6. I'm rather behind on reading some of my favorite bloggers. I always come away feeling more relaxed after popping in here. I love the variety of bloggers I read. (A good balance ;) Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad YOU feel relaxed, Patty, because I don't! I'm glad you still come by, though. :-)

      Delete
  7. Two things, no, three:

    One, that bird's nest photo is so lovely! Two, your schultüte link is broken. And three, HAPPY BACK TO SCHOOL!

    (We start today. Gulp.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That nest itself is lovely. It is so perfect, and so difficult for me to believe one of God's smallest creatures made it with her beak. It makes me feel small!

      I fixed the link. Thanks -- that's what I get for not checking it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!