Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, January 04, 2013

(1/4)...streaming


I survived the first week of 2013, and I am hoping (and praying) that this week went the way it did because it started in 2012. No more weeks like this, ok? We're done with this 2012 business...moving on now. New year, new ways.

I mentioned in my post earlier this week that my mom spent some time in the hospital last week. Well, she apparently had so much fun that she decided she needed some more, so we spent Wednesday evening and a wee hour of the morning back in the ER. She had continued high blood pressure readings -- like off-the-charts high. It was, sadly, a pretty big waste of time and money as all they did was give her one extra dose of the medicine she is already on (I could have done that at home) and sent her on her way. We waited for three hours to see a physician, and were there for five hours in all -- for one pill. I just can't imagine how mad this is going to get in the year(s) to come. We are in a region where half the hospitals are Catholic and the Church has not yet decided what will happen to those hospitals due to the HHS mandate. If they close, Katy bar the door!

I told my mom that she needs 1) a dog, and 2) to learn how to knit. She says owning a dog will RAISE her blood pressure, so maybe just a knitting class and some more Maggie therapy.



Dontcha think?


Maybe all this blood pressure business is God's way of making sure I spend more time with my mom.

I'm going through all my "healthy" cookbooks to find low-sodium, low-fat recipes that I can cook for her, so she can come over for dinner more often (and have more Maggie therapy).

~~~~~





This was the view from my sofa just moments before my mom called to say her blood pressure went through the roof again. I missed The Sound of Music, but at least Faith enjoyed it.


~~~~~




Faith enjoyed making a gingerbread house village yesterday, purchased half price from Joann's...all the fun of gingerbread houses with a fraction of the work. She had a great time and it kept her occupied for at least two hours, without my supervision (She actually told me, "Please don't tell me how to do it, mom." Moi?).




So I gladly worked on a pretty rosary which I am putting in my Etsy shop today. I am glad to have most of my Christmas projects behind me so I can make more rosaries (I have one pair of pajamas yet to make today and just a few Jesse Tree ornaments to finish).

And in good news, my doctor's office told me the ovarian cyst is gone. I am still feeling a little weird about it because the ultrasound tech definitely said it was still there, and I plan to talk about it when I see the doctor later this month, but for now I am going with it.


Because  “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Mt 19:26


That's all for now, darlings. Have a glorious weekend...the Epiphany! Enjoy some crowned jewel cake,  burn a perfumed candle, and bask in the glow of the light from God's perfect Son.









15 comments:

  1. So glad your cyst is gone....so sorry about your mom...ER's are frustrating, maybe her doctor will do better? (or Maggie?)

    Wish you could teach me how to knit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, Jamie. I could probably teach you better than my mom! ;-)

    And ERs are SUPER frustrating -- my blood pressure was probably through the roof (trying to look patient for my mom while burning inside).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a lesson from Barb too!

    Cannot knit a stitch.

    Hope all gets better for you and your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to join in the care package also for Kelly...need to get on email and do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doctors and ERs, ick. Though Meg's godfather is an ER doc. He's the best. Such a loving, caring bedside manner. When Meg stuck a lego up her nose years ago, we drove out of our way to see him since he was at work!

    I thought your mom was on the paleo diet. Did she give it up? I hope her blood pressure gets under control. A dog would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have any doc in the family. Doug has a good friend who graduated from pharmacy school and then med school. He's a nephrologist. We ask him a lot of drug questions, but that's about it.

      My mom has been on a "sort-of-paleo" diet and still is. Very little grain, lots of fruit and veggies, little meat. Her diet and diligent exercise has done nothing for her high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

      Delete
  6. You've got my prayers! As to the cyst, that IS weird...though sometimes they do blow up and disappear (but there's usually PAIN involved, ask me how I know.) Maybe another US just to check--though I'm sure you want to just be DONE with all doctors for a good long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cyst would have had to blow up and disappear on the ultrasound images.
      ;-)
      Because it was there (supposedly) when the tech did the test and gone when the radiologist read the report! But with God, all things are possible! :-)

      Delete
  7. Centering prayer is working...on you, at least. Now, more effective prayers for your mom. My mother used to downplay her physical issues, too...back in the day before she came to live with us. When she moved in here in 2005, her Type 2 diabetes all but disappeared because I tightly regulated her diet. Blood pressure was not as issue for her; heart failure was. You are entering the stage of "daughterhood" that gets tricky. I know you are up for the task.
    -Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got to b so heartily sick of doctors by now, Barbara. I know I am (except for my own dear hubs, of course) and I haven't even been in and out of the hospital as much as you have these past weeks.

    I'd be glad to trade you some Maggie therapy for some Septimus therapy. The kids are begging for a dog, but I just can't do it. Not now. A loaner dog would be perfect. ;)

    And tell dear Faith that she has some kindred spirits here - my kids are always telling me to back off on their projects. I'm just giving them tips but they tell me I'm hovering. If I hover, it's only because I usually get stuck with the mess! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to find a big, vacant commune, Aimee, where I can rock Septimus, cook for you, and your kids can keep me laughing while they play with Maggie (she is a really nice dog). I'll be praying on that! At the very least we need to be neighbors!

      Delete
  9. Praying for you and for a healthy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Continuing to pray for you and your mom, and that the cyst really is gone!

    Do we get to see a picture of Faith's finished creation? :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!