Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, September 28, 2012

ya learn something new every day



Hello friend. I hope you are breathing a big sigh of relief that the weekend has arrived. I am breathing a big sigh of relief that today is almost over.

I went for an MRI this morning, and guess who is claustrophobic? Whadya know? I never knew. That fear had certainly never been tested. The hospital scheduler asked me if I was claustrophobic when she scheduled my appointment, and the questionnaire I filled out at the hospital this morning asked the same question. I confidently answered, "No" both times. I remember playing in rather small spaces as a child and it never bothered me. I can ride in elevators with numerous other people, sit in small cars, and airplane seats, and nothing happens. I have had other tests that involved being inside a machine and been fine. Nothing prepared me for MRI claustrophobia. Just thinking about it makes my heart pound a little harder.

So I am super glad today is almost at an end, and I am praying I don't have to do that again. Ever. I am also offering a prayer of thanksgiving for that sweet little Amy who did my test. She was patient, understanding, and very accommodating. May she be blessed.

I hope you have a great weekend, friend. Enjoy every day!

14 comments:

  1. Oh boy...yes, those are tough. Did you manage to have the test? There is a thing called "open MRI" that might be easier for you.
    The thing that gets me during an MRI is the noise, noise, noise, NOISE! I can close my eyes and all is fine, but even with the earplugs, I hear all that banging and clanking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! You were *greatly* in my thoughts today, too. Now I know why. I've been in an MRI…or maybe it was a CAT scan, it was when I had appendicitis and I was really drugged up with pain meds. As I remember it they gave me the maximum dose of whatever it was and I was still in mind-blowing pain. So, long story short, I don't remember it much other than some computerized voice telling me when to breath and when to hold my breath. But I think that if I had been sober I would have freaked out. I do remember feeling very closed in. God bless you, Barbara. I guess now you know if you ever need to have another test like that done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, poor Barbara!! I think I might be the same way....hope I don't need to find out though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think I was either. Then I got in there. OH MY GOODNESS. I wanted drugs very badly.
    Fortunately I now have a magnet in my head so MRIs are contraindicated for the rest of my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try putting a cloth over your face before you are rolled into the machine's tunnel. I didn't want the pill, so my tech offered a cloth. Once or twice I opened my eyes even though I didn't intend to do so. I was so grateful for the cloth. I know it made all the difference for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, do I ever sympathize! I couldn't be sedated b/c I drove myself there. I closed my eyes before they shut me in and pretended I was lying on the beach. All those pings and bangs? They were constructing my oceanfront dream home! It worked!

    Praying you never have to do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think of myself as claustrophobic because I'm not "afraid". I just don't "like" being in enclosed places! I don't want to go spelunking, and I don't want an MRI. I'm glad you're done, and I hope it will successfully give you some answers so you don't have to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have panic attacks while trying to pull on a turtleneck sweater! I'm adding my prayers to everyone else's that you NEVER have to have a closed MRI again. Hope you get a helpful diagnosis soon. Have a wonderful fall weeekend! Hugs <3 - Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  9. (Yes, that was obnoxious. I'll say extra prayers for you at my holy hour tomorrow morning in atonement.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Barbara, I'm so sorry! I would probably discover the same thing about myself, if I ever needed an MRI. You have been in my prayers, and I'll continue praying! I hope you had a lovely and relaxing weekend! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, I would not like it either...I think I would be very claustrophobic. My big brother, was very mean, and he'd pin me under a blanket and I would FREAK, thinking I would suffocate and die. I have avoided MRIs and I'll continue to do so. Thanks for offering it up for me. =) I've been having a very terrible time lately. I just feel like I have no more patience left and no more energy. I'm actually looking for a cheap part-time nanny..I doubt I'll find one I can afford..but it's worth a shot. I'm so tired of the deployment. I gave someone your Etsy shop...they saw my Chaplet of the 7 sorrows that you made. I hope they find your shop. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear. I'm sorry you had to endure such a thing. At least it was on a Friday and I'm guessing offered for a very good intention. Continued prayers for your med issues!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those MRI's get me everytime! I'm right there with ya! Just so you know, MRI's are not really like any other test I've had before. It's a smaller space, it's LOUD and it takes much longer that a regular CT!
    I applaud you for getting it! Last time, I took an anxiety pill and a wooden finger rosary with me.All I'll say is that....I got through it....barely!

    Hope everything is ok!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!