Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, July 13, 2012

(7/13)...streaming


I woke up and it was Friday. Frankly I was surprised. I am not sure where the week went. I suppose I have been living in each moment and not thinking about time as a whole, which sounds good in theory, but I'm not sure it was.

I have felt like crap. It's been almost two weeks since I gave up wheat and five days since I gave up oats, and now I am eating a small amount of rice and corn, but overall hardly any grain at all. I have rarely felt worse. Frustrating isn't it? I can only hope my body is detoxing, or whatever you want to call it, and I will feel great soon. One can hope. Nothing sits well in my stomach and I feel nauseated almost all the time. I go from feeling no hunger, which I had hoped was from omitting wheat, to feeling starved and sick -- like pregnancy hunger. This is what I hate about "diets" not that I am dieting to lose weight. I get starved and sick and can't find anything that looks good. No beverage is refreshing. The worst part is I am eating healthier than I ever have.

Very uplifting, isn't it? Sorry. Let's talk about something else.




Maggie likes fruit, and actually watermelon tastes good to me, it just doesn't sit well


Fortunately I have had a good book to listen to, and some knitting to keep my mind and hands busy. I started Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks and finished it this morning. It was a good book, except I wasn't happy with the ending, maybe more because it ended period rather than the story.

I finally cast on some socks. And I knit, and I tore out, and I cast on, repeat. About ten, maybe 16 times. I could have knit a whole sock in the time I spent knitting and ripping.


Those stitches are really tiny. I can't believe I am knitting with a size 0 needle.



I am convinced that my sock should not have the external stitches at the end (looks like a seam but it's not because it's the cast-on), based on the picture in the book. But no matter how many times I re-cast on, I end up with those stitches at the end. Any comments? This sock is a lace sock from Socks from the Toe Up, by Wendy Johnson. So far so good. It's an easy lace and I have already done two repeats in no time, so I hope it will be a fast knit. The cast-on was the scariest part (I am afraid of things that I perceive to be difficult), but I used Judi's Magic Cast On and it was really very easy to learn.

It was enjoyable to listen to Caleb's Crossing even while I ripped and re-cast on, so I'll probably always associate that book with these socks. My Caleb's Crossing socks.


Faith has been having a sewing lesson (Sewing with St. Anne) every day which is going better than I imagined (I don't have a very positive imagination, do I?). She isn't the most patient child, and I thought we would have trouble sitting and learning, but every lesson so far has gone well. Thank you, St. Anne.




This afternoon I am going to sit down with stack of new fat quarters and my already-cut squares and plan out a baby quilt. Actually, summer babies usually get a summer coverlet, a top pieced together and a back of flannel. I think it's nice and light for summer.



The kids are harassing me to go do something fun. I keep telling them that knitting and quilting IS fun. They are not buying it.

I took them to the movie (girls -- Brave, boys -- Spiderman) on Saturday and they went to the pool every evening this week. What more do they want? Ay, yi, yi. By the way, Brave was just o.k. I was a little disappointed.

On that note, that's all I have to say. A little good, a little not so good. Let's all try to have an all-good weekend. Monday is the Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel -- always something to look forward to.

12 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you in the whole "where did the week go?" thing. Every.Single.Week. So much is going undone but I feel like I'm busy all the time. And then there is the extra resting that I must build in...offering it up today for Michelle==can't imagine moving in her situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on the "Its Friday already?!" question... but actually, that is a good thing this week.
    Middle boy is all married off now, so I get the rest of the month to 'enjoy'. Not that I didn't enjoy the first half of the month, or the wedding... it was just too much work, and too busy. This past week was my 'rest and recuperate' week.

    So glad Faith's sewing is going well. She looks so sweet in the above photo.

    You are right Barbara, knitting and quilting IS fun!!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a sickie this week so for us it felt like Friday oh round about Wednesday, I think! Sunshine oohed over your socks book. I oohed over the yarn. Do you mind sharing what it is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a good, productive week, getting ready for my family to visit. (Waiting for mom and dad right now!) I started writing down the whole random list of stuff I want to do, need to do, and ought to do. I didn't actually get much of it done, but I wrote it down, and somehow, that's helpful. :-)

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    Love,
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte,
    I love this yarn -- it's a little bit stretchy, which will make for nice socks, but remember, it's fingering weight -- very fine. It's Knitpicks Felici Fingering Self Striping Sock Yarn in High Tide: http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Felici_Fingering_Self_Striping_Sock_Yarn__D5420165.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are keeping busy. We've been to Seattle (my family) and IA (Dan's mum and a few siblings) and now in MN with Dan's other sister and husband . . . the traveling, alone, has been keeping me busy. I've been able to read two history books on Seattle and now I'm back to the book I brought with me. I have a few small stitching projects with me (and I think I'll start working on one when I'm done here; my youngest son is kindly letting me use his laptop). I can't say this trip is "exciting" but it's not terrible - and, that's something. :)

    Hope the diet thing resolves itself for you well - and soon! I hate feeling "off" because I'm trying to reduce/limit/eliminate something from my diet. My theory is that when you begin to eat healthier, your body doesn't know what the heck is going on. Give it time; make sure you're covering all the vitamins you need - in your food/drink intake. Love to you and keeping you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The yarn is beautiful. I am always pleased with knitpicks yarn I buy, even though you can't touch it till it arrives!

    I pray that you feel better very soon. Hoping that you figure out what is causing this distress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't done toe-up, but I think all socks have the stitches on either side of the toes as you increase (or decrease).

    I'm sorry you feel so badly giving up the wheat! I've read so much about it's addictive characteristics that I'm sure you're experiencing a form of withdrawals. I'd suggest continuing another week or two until you start to feel *good* before attempting to challenge the diet with a taste or two.

    Keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Charlotte. I love the yarn. I think fingering just takes longer. I found that out with my Citron Shawlette.

    I think I mentioned this before, but I have that same book. I have been afraid of trying something new, too, so I haven't tried the magic cast-on with 2 circs or cast on starting with the toes. It looks good from the pic you posted. When you work the sock top down ending with the toes I always use the kitchener stitch to finish. I've gotten very comfortable with it. Probably a little too comfortable. I don't ever want to leave my comfy place and try something new. ;)
    But I have the blasted book, so really I should just try it already. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and I forgot to say that I am sorry you have been so miserable. I will be praying for you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly,
    You really should try one of these patterns. Judy's Magic Cast on is very easy and I like that you just knit until the socks are the length you like (or run out of yarn!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just ordered my size 1 40" long circular needles. I am going to make some toe up socks! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!