Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lenten Chain



I used this exercise at Domestic Church to make a Jesse Tree of sorts (without the tree) into a Lenten paper chain. (download). The paper chain is made from strips of paper with each Day of Lent printed on it (at the bottom of the document -- just print the entire document and cut those days at the bottom into strips and create a paper chain).

Each day a child opens the day's link and reads the corresponding scripture verse which will take them from creation to crucifixion (I used the RSV bible). If you want to have the children draw the image that goes with the verse, go to the Domestic Church page and see each day's image. I had to make a few modifications because there were a couple of days missing the scripture verse, but all the images are there (I think).



 I printed mine on plain old white paper because I didn't want to use costly paper to rip up every day. But if you have colored copy paper, go for it. Purple would be nice. I hung mine in the front hall with some fancy-pants-sticky-gunk. 


If you have any questions, just leave me a comment.



3 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea, Barbara! It is powerful and meaningful ... but simple! I like simple, especially for Lent. To me, that's a necessary part of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that---reminiscent of the Advent chain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so pretty with the green background and crucifix in the middle. I had my first grader RE class make a St. Valentine paper chain with verses about love (from Lacy at Catholic Icing) and their response was "do we have to open one every day?" It was for 14 days only! I told them "Yes, if you want to grow closer to Jesus."

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!