Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, January 18, 2012

yarn along



Linking up with Ginny at Small Things.



view full image



Sorry about the iPhone Instagram, but today has been a busy day. We always pay for those lovely holidays in one way or another and now we have a shortened week in which to get a week's worth of work done. Oh well, fewer days until the weekend, eh? I snapped this shot while we schooled in the sometimes sunny living room today.

I am still working on Faith's vest. I didn't get quite as far as I hoped over the weekend, but I'm about 2/3 finished. Faith is tall so I need to make sure it's long enough. Hopefully it's not too big around because she is also pretty skinny.

I am still reading The American Frugal Housewife and am amazed at how pertinent the information is today (since it was written in 1832). The author particularly brings up, repeatedly, how important it is to prepare children for the work they will have to do to maintain a household when they move out of the home. If she thought children in 1836 were unprepared for the challenges of keeping house, I can't imagine what she would think of children today.

I have a stack of knitting books (pictured) which I picked up from the library yesterday. I am anxious to get to them.






view full image

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Barbara! I just love those cap sleeve sweaters. Lovely color, too! I've made one for two of my youngest girls, but my 4 year old has already grown out of hers, so I will probably be making her a new one for the spring. Or at least I would like to…I have SO many projects on my to-do list. :)

    I hope you enjoy the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Rules! She has some handy little tips, but what I like most of all is her humor. She always makes me laugh out loud. It's good to know that there are others out there as crazy as I am. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded that book to my kindle, too. Frugality must be in the air...it's one of my resolutions this year. I am not very far in...got as far as how easy it is to knit socks and got mentally distracted...do I need socks in Tampa? Should I teach myself sock making so I'm good for when we move back to a colder climate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book sounds really interesting. I am trying to prepare my boys for life without a mommy to cook and clean for them!! The pink in that sweater is great. My girls would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a beautiful shade of pink that you chose for the project!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, I finished the other book last night -- while I was knitting, yeah -- so it's on to the yarn harlot for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, the funny thing about what she says about sock knitting is that knitting socks is more economical than buying them. Well, back in 1832 that may have been true, but anyone who has bought yarn and socks today knows store bought socks are waaay cheaper! The best parts of the book are remedies (mostly amusing) and the parts after the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book does not so much tell how to prepare them, Ginny, as to why. Good stories! And relevent today.

    Faith loves the color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Swanski. It's very pink! Like raspberry ice cream. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know, Barb. My kids and I put holes in our socks with regularity (more regularity than we clip our toe nails, I guess!). I did get a pair of store bought knit socks (wool, knit...not cotton, woven, which I usually wear) and I'm curious to see how they hold up compared to the woven made-in-China $%^&. These socks were not cheap, so I can't believe that yarn would cost more.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!