Sunday, January 01, 2012
On the seventh and eighth days...
...because I had to catch up -- today is the Octave of Christmas.
On the seventh day we partied, and on the eighth day we quietly celebrate, Our Blessed Mother. I'm sitting here under a throw (the house is very chilly as the temperature drops outside) with a cup of hot toddy (a strong cup of tea, a generous spoon of honey, a squirt of lime juice, and a glug - or two - of spiced rum). I know it's only three in the afternoon, but it's a holiday. We are having a simple dinner of homemade pasta, but because we have so many goodies left from Christmas, I can't justify baking a dessert for the Holy Day. We'll light a white candle with dinner and keep it lit through the evening (supervised, of course). We are anticipating snow tonight, so the solemn, quiet atmosphere will be just the thing...
There's some bread dough rising on the counter and a batch of granola just came from the oven, in an effort to work on one of my "resolutions." I say "resolutions" (in quotes) because I always say I don't make resolutions. But the new year is such a wonderful time for second chances, for getting things right again. It's a hard thing to pass up -- the opportunity for getting things right. So, though they may be "resolutions" for some, they are things on which I need to work, to me. I am calling it my More/Less list. Eight things to do more and less of:
1) more random acts of kindness. Whether taking an empty cart from the grocery store lot to save some soul from pushing one more in, or putting a love note in someone's lunch box or coat pocket, I need to do more.
2) less worry. Worry doesn't solve problems, but action and prayer does.
3) more good food. Too many cookies and shacks always prompts me to seek healthier food by the new year. I would also like to simplify what we eat, which sounds contrary to "more good food" but I really want better, but not more. Home baked breads, granola and yogurt once a day, more vegetables, less cheese, you know what I mean.
4) less stuff. I plan to purge quite a bit this year. No big plans just have less overall.
5) in line with less stuff, but not specifically related to, spend less money. Have you noticed how expensive even groceries have gotten? I hope between simplifying meals and striving to have less stuff, I will also spend less money.
6) more cleaning. It seems contrary to what most people want, and it may have more to do with clutter than anything, but I need a cleaner house. Need it for my sanity.
7) more crafting. All work and no play... I'd like to fill my Etsy shop with rosaries and jewelry, and knit more just for the pleasure it brings me.
8) more prayer. This goes without saying.. More Divine Intimacy, The Imitation of Christ, the rosary, True Devotion to Mary, all need to be a regular part of my prayer time, every day, several times a day.
Do you make resolutions?