Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Praying the rosary with reverence


I have heard one particular episode of Women of Grace Live on the radio twice now and I feel like I am meant to share something I heard which struck me, and has changed the way I pray the rosary.

I heard Fr. Ed (Fr. Edward Sylvia) say that when we pray the Hail Mary during the rosary, we should slow down and pause before the name of Jesus, and even give a bow of the head. Fr. Ed says the name of Jesus should be a speed bump in the Hail Mary, in which we slow down and give the proper reverence to Our Lord.

It really changes the way I pray the rosary -- and it feels good.



15 comments:

  1. My sister is deaf and I used to interpret for her during the rosary and Masses etc....and we'd always do that, and you are right, it feels good....I'm going to have to try that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea. Thanks for your obedience to follow the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and share this little gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that as well as add the additional clause as suggested by JPII. Annunciation - "...blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, Holy Mary, ....." It really helps me stay focused on the mystery I'm supposed to be meditating on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently heard the same thing on Women of Grace and my rosaries haven't been the same since. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I've ever heard that specifically about the rosary, but I've noticed lots of people at more traditional Masses bow their heads at the name of Jesus---all through the Mass. I do that now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the reminder, Barbara! And it is good to see that you are recovering from surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the pause..I will try it next time. I've been meaning to tell you (or maybe I already did) but your banner photo is breathtakingly beautiful! I could stare at it all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing, Jamie. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know, Jim. I have a little scriptural rosary book with Blessed John Paul II's modifications to the Hail Marys, and when I have time to dedicate properly, I love using it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do it at Mass, too, Sara, initiated by our young priests. The young priests will be the salvation of our Church!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, thank you, Elisa. My little Peach picked that bunch of purple flowers for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember when my mom taught me to bow my head at the name of Jesus during prayers. I think it brings you closer to God because you are conscience of His name at that time. I have to teach my children to do the same.

    Thank you,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!