Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Sunday, September 18, 2011

A new mantra


My oldest son is employed by the IT department at the university he attends. He's a "troubleshooter" of sorts for the faculty and staff. Sometimes he troubleshoots on the phone and sometimes he gets requests to troubleshoot in person. For the most part he likes his job, and he laughs when he tells me stories of how this person or that called him to his or her office to change the printer cartridge. As you can imagine people, and for some reason especially in academia, are very clueless about computer technology.

He is fortunate, he is gifted that way.

One day he called me after work to tell me about a woman who had yelled at him over the phone. She was frustrated beyond reason about her problem and she took it out on him. He told her she would have to call back when she could be reasonable. Good for him. I told him that his department needs to adopt to mantra "please state your problem without emotion."

After I got off the phone I realized we all do that, don't we? How often my daughter or son comes to me with a problem, and they whine or talk through clenched teeth (wonder where they got that?)? How often do I tell Faith to clean up her craft supplies, or toys, with barely concealed (or not concealed) anger at having to tell her again, and again. Or I rant and rave while picking up the dirty clothes from my son's bedroom floor.

This past week I realized that even my son's school teacher uses emotion by his red pen. How different this admonishment would have been without the emotion it carried?

We all do it to some degree.

"If anyone does not fall short in speech, he is a perfect man, able to bridle his whole body also." James 3: 2

Sometimes it's good emotion. How often have you told a loved one a message with tears in your eyes? Or while laughing until your belly hurt?

But when we state our problem with anger, it is hurtful, without exception.

"In the same way the tongue is a small member and yet has great pretensions. Consider how small a fire can set a huge forest ablaze. The tongue is also a fire. It exists among our members as a world of malice, defiling the whole body and setting the entire course of our lives on fire, itself set on fire by Gehenna." Jame 3:5-6

Since having that conversation with my son, I have found that when I remove the emotion from the spoken word, my spoken word, my children respond differently. I may not sound "happy" when I ask Faith to make her bed and clean up the stuffed animals from the floor, but she is more likely to do it with a happy heart if I at least use a neutral tone.


"For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by the human species, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. This need not be so, my brothers." James 3: 7-10

Do you remember this story I told you a few months ago? How different that exchange would have been without the frothy anger that bubbled over onto my family?

God calls us to charity, and charity in the spoken word is sometimes the hardest form. We are all impulsive with our words -- speaking before we stop and think. Jesus calls us to try harder, the Gospel says we will be judged on our words.

"A good person brings forth good out of a store of goodness, but an evil person brings forth evil out of a store of evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak. By your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.” Matthew 12: 35-37


But we are also called to forgive harsh words used against us.

"[And] be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has forgiven you in Christ." Ephesians 4:32


As human beings it is difficult to forgive words harshly spoken. Our Lord forgave all, but then He is God. As humans we tend to hold unkind words closely, remembering them often, like the tongue remembers a sore tooth, poking and prodding and often keeping it sore.

Our mouths can be used to hurt and to heal. It is wise to remember to think before one speaks, and acts.

And "state your problem without emotion."




7 comments:

  1. LOVE this motto! I'm adding it to the top of our chalkboard starting tomorrow. A reminder to them *and* me!

    Great post. Thanks, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needed to read this today! And I need to put it into practice too. Especially with a certain 9-year-old who is very given to drama...but, really, with the whole family. Thank you.
    Will pray, this week, that school goes better for your freshman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this! Thank you!!! Well written/said. It's hard to take a breath and remain emotionless at times when it's really best to be emotionless. I'm going to try harder to use a neutral voice when I am sick and tired of "blank". Whatever it is, I have to remember that I oft disappoint as well - and would love to be loved into doing something rather than hollered at. I must extend the same charity I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed that I am a better mother when I lose my voice. Whispered orders are easier to follow! BTW, my BIL works IT for a large corporation (web-based, even) and not only are many people really stupid, many are very rude when asking for his help. It's not just academia. I think we've lost nearly all civility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this ... needed it today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I can't tell you how many times I have seen the scripture passage from Matt 12: 35-37 pop up because I'm dealing with so many people (in one particular circle) that love to gossip and condemn others. Thank you for posting all of this. It's given me more to reflect upon. God bless you and yours Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have felt angry lately and take this to heart. I will practice trying to get my point across without emotion...knowing and doing are often so far apart.....

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!