Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Daybook...end of summer


Outside my window...
...gloriously gray and cool. I think a high of 74 is expected today. When I woke up this morning I thought that today was the last day of summer. But then I checked and saw that the first day of autumn is actually September 23. I am certain there is a reason why the first day of each season moves from year to year, but really, must it?

I am thinking...
...about my parish and how my gifts can be used. On Sunday our parish held Stewardship Sunday in an effort to get parishioners more involved in parish activities. I noticed a display created by our new young priest requesting help to make rosaries, and sew scapulars and vestments. I was so happy to know that my gifts can be used! I have been on the funeral lunch committee and the Stone Soup committee (they deliver meals to families experiencing a temporary need in meals -- for illness or death), but they almost never call me. Our young priest saw me sign my name and came right over to thank me. We spoke for a little bit and when the subject of Latin came up he told me he is celebrating Low Latin Mass once or twice a week and asked if I am interested. Oh my, yes I am, even though I have not been to a Latin Mass since I was a young girl. Now I am investigating head coverings for Faith and I, and I am excited to make Latin Mass part of our weekly schedule.

I am thankful for....

...young, enthusiastic clergy

...healthy children

...prayers

...hot, (strong) black coffee, always


From the lesson plans...
...speaking of Latin, Faith had her first lesson yesterday in Prima Latina. I spoke with a dear high school teacher (she taught both older boys) about having her teach Faith German and French in a few years and she said Latin is necessary first!

From the kitchen...
...I need to make a trip to the grocery store, but I think I have everything I need for some roast chicken, potato pancakes and green beans for dinner.

I am wearing...
...khaki pants and a white blouse (actually it's a men's shirt but I am keeping it).

I am creating...
...a sweater for Doug's nephew and baby bonnets for the little girls next door.
I am also working on a baby quilt in the evenings and I have to make one more car rosary to make seven for Doug's aunt.

I am reading...
... Rescue by Anita Shreve.

I am hoping...
...that Noah does well on his history test today. He really needs to do well. He and I studied for hours last night. The teacher sent home a ridiculously long list of topics from the Townshend Acts to General Cornwallis to federalism. It covered a huge period of time spanning colonial America to the Revolutionary War and after that was all covered (though not in any depth) in one history book chapter.

I am hearing...
...the television. Ugh. Faith woke really early and she is watching cartoons with commercials. I just had to remind her to mute the commercials.

Around the house...
...laundry to do and ironing. Josh moved to the downstairs bedroom and now I need to really clean his former bedroom and wash all the linens and drapes.

Still no new furniture in the family room. Doug wants to wait until he knows if he is getting a bonus this fall. In the meantime we really can't sit in the family room together.


I am going...
...to the grocery store today, maybe, and that's it.

One of my favorite things...
...gray, rainy days.


I am praying for...
...my children, especially Noah for his test today, and for Geoff and Josh who start classes tomorrow, and for my husband


...our next door neighbors' little baby girl. She is having surgery to place a G-tube today. Hopefully she will come home soon after. It's been two months now since she was born and has never been home.

...our priests and all religious

...several soldiers

...all of the babies whose mothers are contemplating abortion this week


Plans for the rest of the week...
...school tomorrow for the two older boys, so a new schedule to adjust to. Coffee with a friend tomorrow evening. I was supposed to have vein ablation surgery yesterday but it was cancelled at the last minute. I was very upset because I was mentally prepared, but now it's scheduled for next month and I have a few weeks to adjust to the idea again.


Quote of the day...


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
George Smith Patton

4 comments:

  1. We have a new priest at our parish too, he's 35. He's so wonderful and has accomplished so much since he arrived July 1st. We are so blessed.
    I'd love to hear about how/what your parish is doing for rosary making. We did that, using the plastic beads, for a while last year, but for only a few months. We are a very tiny parish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you let me know what days he says the Low Mass? I would be interested in taking my oldest two at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy that you have found a way to share your gifts at your parish. You are blessed to have such a wonderful young priest who seems warm, welcoming and offers the Low Mass as well. I am a bit jealous, to say the least, but I suppose things could be worse where I am :). At times such as these I need to remind myself to be grateful that we at least have a priest and Mass within a very short distance from our home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he has the same history book my daughter does. I'm SO unimpressed. The teacher has his work cut out for him, that's for sure. They are going from Renaissance through Civil War in a one-year course.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!