Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, August 19, 2011

Surgery Day

.


 snuggled with a new bear and bunny (that's a thermometer sticker on her forehead, not a new tattoo!)


Today's T&A (not that T&A -- tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy -- iPhone doesn't like that word, dumb iPhone) went well.

Faith's tonsils were apparently enormous for her size and very scarred with evidence of a previously unknown abscess, so I'm glad we had them taken out now. She had some post anesthesia issues (nausea and whooziness), which kept us there longer than expected, but we're home now and she's resting, having some crackers and peppermint tea. Dad is picking up prescription pain medication and sprite, and I am typing this on my iPhone (tedious).

Thank you all for your prayers. They are much appreciated.

I was surprised to learn that Faith will need to have quiet activity only for 10-14 days, no exceptions, not even if she feels well enough to play. So much of how we treat our children when they are sick is led by the child's behavior, but apparently not in this case. I am very glad she is homeschooled and we can start school without any fuss or apparent sitting out of activities. The only sad thing is no more swimming for the season because by the time she can swim the pools will be closed.

It will be nice, however, to have a nice quiet weekend and upcoming week. I'm hoping to get lots of knitting and rosary-making accomplished! ;-)

.


16 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for you to post an update. We went to Mass this morning and offered it for Faith. So glad she did well and you can breathe a big sigh of relief. BTW... loved the tattoo comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see it's done and you guys are home! I've been thinking about you. Did they tell you she may have some ear pain? It's not actually in the ear, of course, but it feels like it - referred pain, I think they call it. The pain meds should take care of it. Praying that she will feel good really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you made the right move in getting that surgery done! I do remember my neighbor's little girl having to keep it quiet for a little over a week. Just stock Faith up on sidewalk chalk and you should be all good :)
    Praying that she'll be feeling well from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prayed for Faith at Mass this morning! Glad she's home and on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. Looking at those IV's going into Faith's hand, I'm glad I also prayed for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was hoping you would give an update - I've had you all in my thoughts today. Glad it went well, and good call on the surgery! Sounds like it was past time for them to go.

    (And isn't the waking up from anesthesia awful? Fiver has horrible reactions to it -- he wakes up screaming and swinging! That's the kind of thing they never told me about anesthesia.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it's over and you are home!!
    continued prayers for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am pleased a punch to know that your girlie made it through so well; adding her to my prayers for a speedy recovery. Enjoy the quieter days . . . some time there is a lesson in these things for us parents, too. Slowing down is always a nice thing to do now and again. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to read the good news! Miss Faith will do very well. Continued prayers for speedy healing. Remember, pain meds around the clock, sprite and 7-up do help to break up the mucus that tends to collect in the throat (gross huh), and days 5 and 10 post op seem to be steps backwards after several good days in a row. I another life, I used to discharge many little T&A post-op patients from the pediatric ward.

    psst. I saw "The Help" this morning and loved it! I will never look at another can of Crisco without thinking of Minny's description of it! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear all went well for her. We prayed for Faith at adoration today.Continued prayers for a smooth recovery

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad she came through with flying colors! Tell her we are praying for a speedy recovery in Florida!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are both through it and on the other side. Will keep praying for an uncomplicated recovery. --- Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I"m so glad that the surgery went well! I'll be keeping her in prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heal fast Faith! Kids can really bounce back amazingly fast.

    I had mine out at the age of 34 and it was so very painful.

    My oldest had his out also when he was little. He did fine.

    enjoy your quiet week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad it went well, and you're home. 2 weeks of quiet! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh sweet Faith, praying for a swift healing. But, you never said how Mom was holding up. Hugs! This is the same surgery our 25yo daughter had last year when we traveled to be with the older kids last Easter, such a tough time for her. Wendy's restaurant frostys were a soothing charm.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!