Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, July 01, 2011

26/52

.
52 weeks of daily life in pictures: trials and celebrations, 
the extraordinary and mundane -- 
whatever is unique to the week. 
Join me if you like.



 We started the week celebrating my brother's birthday. At his request, I made a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting -- I studded the bottom with some chocolate covered espresso beans. In my family growing up we had cluster birthdays -- at the end of June we had my father's, my brother's, my grandmother's (father's mother), my grandma's (mother's mother) and my birthday within three days of each other!



Sewing some pajamas -- here some baby doll pajamas Butterick 6659
After -- very sweet and comfy
Teenagers can be pretty self-confident most of the time -- just put them in a corral with horses to bring them down a notch. 
Very amusing.




My cousin's husband Tom gives a lesson on how to get the horse to nibble you. Faith is skeptical.




She got a ride, however, at least two, and she spent the rest of the time at my uncle's house standing next to a horse or touching it.



So many loved ones to help my grandma celebrate 95 years.



One of the great things about large family get-togethers is you know (except all those kids -- can't keep them straight!) and love everyone.



Singing Happy Birthday to my grandma (a huge Cincinnati Reds fan). She really enjoyed having so many loved ones around.
Ironing and pinning a baby quilt.



All finished. I love the colors -- bright and cheery. I left out (on purpose) the batting so it is a light coverlet for a summer baby.




These knees took a beating this week -- a bike and a skooter wipeout.



Maggie the dog, always at my feet waiting for a scrap.
Another wire-wrapped rosary -- I am getting quicker. This one for our associate pastor, Fr. Adam, who is leaving to become pastor at his own parish.






Below you'll find a linky list for the lovely women who have decided to join me in my 52 Weeks project. There are no rules (except the two below) -- if you want to start your 52 Weeks this week, go for it! I will keep the links up until next Friday, so you have a week to do it.


(1) Make sure you copy and paste the URL of your 52 Weeks blog post ( and not your main blog URL). You could also use of Flickr photo page if that's how you do things.
(2) Include a link back here in your blog post or flickr photo page.









6 comments:

  1. That cake is gorgeous, Barbara! It looks professional =) And that baby girl blanket is super, super sweet.

    My 7yo is a horse-lover, but I wonder how shy she'd be next to a *real* horse! I'm working on finding a place where we could just go to see the horses. She'd love it!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah. I just posted the recipe on my food blog -- if you have a hankerin'. ;-)

    Faith road this same horse about 5 years ago and fell madly in love. She was very anxious to go back -- remembered both horses vividly -- and she was not afraid for one moment (except for the nibbling thing). My uncle's wife is a member of the mounted police and she was very generous with her time giving rides to all the kids. The horses are, for the most part, very gentle. But they are big and powerful and that is what stopped those confident teens in their tracks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to put coffee beans on the edging of the cake :) YUM!

    Poor Faith...those knees...my daughter has always had banged-up knees. We buy Walgreen's extra-huge bandages in bulk--even now, and my daughter is 15!

    What a sweet baby blanket. Love all the cute, happy fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Barb....that cook looks delish!!! I'm taking control of my weight issues.....so no cake for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake is so yum yum...I will have to look at your cooking blog to see if it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your Grandmother had so many family members to celebrate her birthday. I'm afraid the Reds haven't given her their best this tear. The baby doll pajamas look much better on Faith than do the skinned knees. :( I don't know a lot about quilt-making, so I would never have thought to leave out the batting to make it light and cool for summer. The cake looks wonderful, but alas! I too am dieting. I am really liking the wire-wrapped rosaries more and more: what a lovely gift this one is! Hope you have a wonderful weekend with your beautiful family. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!