Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Jesus

 .


Virgin with the Host
Ingres 1854


 

"And just as He appeared before the holy Apostles in true flesh, so now He has us see Him in the Sacred Bread. Looking at Him with the eyes of their flesh, they saw only His Flesh, but regarding Him with the eyes of the spirit, they believed that He was God. In like manner, as we see bread and wine with our bodily eyes, let us see and believe firmly that it is His Most Holy Body and Blood, True and Living. For in this way our Lord is ever present among those who believe in him, according to what He said: "Behold, I am with you all days even to the consummation of the world." (Mt. 28, 20) -- St. Francis of Assisi


Today's Mass offered many opportunities for a weepy moment. Or was it just me?

I have such pity for those Catholics (and Christians) who fail to recognize the True Presence of Our Lord Jesus in the Eucharist. Even those who say they believe -- do they? Really?

Each and every moment of the Mass in which I allowed myself to really think about the True Presence of Our Lord, I wept. How could one not? If I really allowed myself to "go there" I would have sobbed through the Mass. And so, I just gave myself a few moments, and silently wept.

Our Mass ended today with a beautiful procession inside the Church, something new for our parish, but for which I thank our beloved priests, who, God love them, just keep trying. Oh my goodness, they try, and I love them for it.

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that after the procession, my smart mouth teen whispered in my ear, "So they just took Jesus for a ride around the Church?" Yes, he was testing me. And I responded, "Yes, so that those who take Him for granted every time they come here, might, for once, notice Him."

The words of my favorite Eucharistic prayer were especially poignant today:


Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ's side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen

Have a blessed, glorious day, my friends.

.

5 comments:

  1. Good answer for a smart-mouthed teen! :-) I'm so thankful we had a visiting priest today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a beautiful post today Barbara!

    That painting is one of my favorites, too.

    God Bless,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, snort on the smart-mouth comment. :) We have the procession every year and I do love it. Even if I had to miss it this year because of rehearsal. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know there was someone else who had tears in their eyes! We had an outdoor procession(first time ever) with a beautiful canopy on poles carried by four men over the monstrance, incense, and a little girl with a basket of real rose petals making a flowered path. This no less on the streets of NYC!! Love your posts...always wished I could have remained in Ohio to raise my family but God had other plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, anonymous. My mother-in-law shared with me her memory of baskets of rose petals at Corpus Christi processions and so I shared with her your comment. It gives us both great hope for awesome things to come in our Church.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!