Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wordish Wednesday

.
Another day, another day. A do-over, right?

As Sara mentioned in the com box two posts below, seems like a long Lent, eh? Yes, it does.

Yesterday was an interesting day, as I mentioned last night. The funny thing is, I really didn't have a bad day, I just seemed to be at the root of my family's bad day. It all came to a head just as I was starting dinner -- the witching hour they say.

Faith was upset with me for several reasons, but the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak, was that she discovered that I threw away a container of molding foam (play foam, not moldy foam). I can't remember when I threw it away but she hasn't looked for it in six months. She stormed off in tears while I was preparing dinner. She skulked back a little while later to nurse her anger in my plain sight.

Noah was upset with me because, first, I am his mother and teacher (sounds reasonable, eh?), and I booted him off the computer so I could tend to dinner in the kitchen. He has the moodiness I would expect from a 14-year-old girl, yet he is a man-sized boy. I don't remember the other two boys having all this moodiness.

Joshua was upset with me because he is always testy when he gets home from school, and the vest and bow-tie that arrived from a tux shop is not the right purple for his girlfriend's dress. That's definitely my fault, right?

Mea culpa, mea culpa. The song Parce Domine keeps running through my head, I'm certain there's a reason. Spare us O God.

So today we have another opportunity to get it right. Lent is a good time to practice the spiritual works of mercy -- especially to bear wrongs patiently and to forgive offenses willingly. Those are two toughies aren't they? To bear wrongs patiently, to forgive offenses willingly. How good it often feels to hold on to those hurts, and, like my nine-year-old daughter, to nurse them for a while.

St. Therese taught us much about our human nature, and the little sins we tend to commit. The little sins are often more difficult to let go of than the big sins. The smaller they are, the more we tend to ignore them. That is what Lent is for, to examine the nooks and crannies of our conscience and sweep out the tendency to commit little sins that build up to become big issues -- hurts that we have nursed for a long time.

"You know that our Lord does not look at the greatness or difficulty of our action, but at the love with which you do it. What, then, have you to fear" ~~ St. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face

By the way, I thank each and every one of you lovely ladies who were willing to go out, even for a virtual, girls' night out. Wouldn't it be lovely if the world were just a little bit smaller?
.

3 comments:

  1. If you're ever in the Cincinnati area, we'll do lunch. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we lived closer, you'd be blogging about "how to rid a pest from your front porch who can't seem to catch a hint"! Love ya, lady! I think you'd be a blast to spend time with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you get a chatroom? That would be fun!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!