Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Yarning Along...





.

...with Ginny. God love her, that girl has us all thinking about knitting and reading. By George, if we can blog about it, we'll do it! What a gem she is getting all these mamas thinking about their knitting and reading, right up there with all the important things.




I started A Bold, Fresh Piece of Humanity this past weekend. It's been sitting on my book shelf since my mother-in-law gave it back a few months ago. I bought it for my husband, was it last Christmas? And then it got loaned out and finally came back. Like I said the other day, on most days I have mixed feelings about Bill (he's a tough cookie), but this is a good read.


I am knitting a seaman's cap just like the one I made a few weeks ago. I'll make a matching neck gaiter and have my son put both sets on the "hat tree" at school. I like this pattern a lot. Knit with size 6 bamboo dp needles it makes a nice tight knit and a good fitting hat for a child. I used part of a remnant of Paton's Classic Merino Wool Worsted Weight Yarn in dark grey marble and a remnant of a brown/green variegated wool, I think Lion's Brand. They were both leftover balls from other projects. They don't really look great together, but if you are in need of a warm hat, I guess looks don't matter so much. This would fit about a 10 year old boy, and hopefully it will find its way to one.

PS Do you like my penguin and child? They sit on my sofa table and I think they are too cute. I love how they feel too, wood as smooth as silk.

Join Ginny over at Small Things if you want to chat about your knitting and reading. If you don't want to chat, just go check out what everyone else has to say.

As an aside, for those of you who were so distressed at the thought of my broken Harmony needle -- my replacement arrived. I love, love these needles! Put some on your Christmas list!




As another aside (I'm full of them, I tell ya), I wonder what you are drinking with your knitting and reading? As one who is always interested in a beverage, hot or otherwise, I would love to know. I am drinking Dilmah Earl Gray these days. In the last week or so I've had some sore throat/stuffy nose issues and I love how the Earl Gray tastes and feels. I have a whole tin of loose leaves -- I love the loose leaves, it makes brewing that cup of tea feel so official!


.

9 comments:

  1. I really like the colors of your hat, Barbara! I was just about to ask you what you were using, but then I reread your post ... and found out for myself. (It's still a bit early ... That's a good excuse for missing such a key piece of information, right?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the hat, too. Looks cool....er...in a warm sort of way. lol.

    I'm glad you got your new needles. I think I'm going to have to join this knitting and reading party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those penguins are great! It's too bad you can't find nice things like that at a store..my kids would love to have wooden animals to play with. I like the way the hat looks so far too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to find someone else has broken a harmony. I almost cried. And I don't cry over that kind of spilt milk with a toddler and a beagle dog in the house very often. Glad to see your needle has been replaced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the penguins, and the hat! So glad your replacement needles came...I do love me some Harmony needles!
    I'm drinking iced tea, I know heresy when it could be hot cider, or cocoa...but the temp is in the high 70's here in Texas and iced tea it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so kind Barbara! I love my harmony needles as well and I think your hat looks great.
    Today I tried and loved a new tea. I am switching back from coffee. It's Tazo organic darjeeling. "a refined tea with floral and nutty notes." Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sarah. You are excused for your lapse -- it's pregnancy related, right? ;-)

    I think you definitely need to join the party, Sara!

    Elisa,
    My mother-in-law gave us the penguins as a decoration, but if I had little boys instead of big boys they would definitely be counted among the toys.

    Erin,
    I, too, cry over few material goods, but I do love my Harmony needles. They make knitting so pleasurable.

    appledapple,
    I would be drinking iced tea in the heat, too! I'm not sure it hit 60 here today, so warm tea was a good thing.

    Thanks Ginny,
    I finished the hat at the school table today, so on to the gaiter. I also have a pretty lacy scarf on the needles for Faith -- maybe that will be next week's subject.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm drinking coffee these days and lots of it.

    TOO much, really.

    And guess what *I* did the other day? Can't possibly? I went to a yarn shop AND got me some yarn AND met Sarah of More Than Enough.

    But that's another story for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie is a sly one, going to a yarn shop and all and not even telling anyone ahead of time, LOL!! I love your penguins Barbara and I can't wait to read the book. YOur colors for the hat are so rich and warm, would love to see the gaiter when you finish :) Many blessings,

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!