Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, November 29, 2010

Our Lady of Perpetual Help, pray for us

.
Advent, as in, the preparation for Christmas, can be difficult at best. With the passing of Thanksgiving, Christmas is in my face everywhere, and I have a difficult time convincing the children that we do not celebrate the birth of Jesus four weeks before His birthday. "Do you celebrate your birthday four weeks before your birthday?" I ask.  "No," they say, "but every one else does it."

Sigh. It is so very hard to keep the secularist celebration out of my domestic church.

We are not ready yet, I tell my children, and it has nothing to do with colored lights and presents. You must prepare for Jesus. You must clean yourself...prepare Him a perfect home.

Yesterday I was looking through a special prayer book for an Advent prayer. Instead I found this novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Help which I began to help my preparation. I thought you might like to join me. What better way to prepare for the coming of Our Lord than to ask His own mother for help? These prayers bring me to tears just to read them.

Mother of Mercy, have pity on me.





FIRST NOVENA PRAYER IN HONOR OF OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP
(First, Fourth and Seventh Day)

Behold at thy feet, O Mother of Perpetual Help, a wretched sinner who has recourse to thee and confides in thee. O Mother of mercy, have pity on me.

I hear thee called by all the refuge and the hope of sinners: be then, my refuge and my hope. Assist me, for the love of Jesus Christ; stretch forth thy hand to a miserable fallen creature who recommends himself to thee, and who devotes himself to thy service for ever.

I bless and thank Almighty God, who in His mercy has given me this confidence in thee, which I hold to be a pledge of my eternal salvation.

It is true that in the past I have miserably fallen into sin, because I had not recourse to thee. I know that, with thy help, I shall conquer.

I know, too, that thou wilt assist me, if I recommend myself to thee; but I fear that, in time of danger, I may neglect to call on thee, and thus lose my soul.

This grace, then, I ask of thee, and this I beg, with all the fervor of my soul, that in all the attacks of hell I may ever have recourse to thee. O Mary, help me. O Mother of Perpetual Help, never suffer me to lose my God.  

Nine Hail Marys


O Lord Jesus Christ, who gave us your Mother Mary, whose renowned image we venerate, to be a Mother ever ready to help us; grant we beseech You, that we who constantly implore her motherly aid, may merit to enjoy perpetually the fruits of Your redemption, Who lives and reigns forever and ever.    Amen.

REMEMBER, O MOST GRACIOUS VIRGIN MARY, THAT NEVER WAS IT KNOWN THAT ANYONE WHO FLED TO THY PROTECTION OR SOUGHT THY AID WAS LEFT UNAIDED......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SECOND NOVENA PRAYER TO OUR MOTHER OF PERPETUAL HELP
(Second, Fifth and Eighth Day)

O Mother of Perpetual Help, grant that I may ever invoke thy most powerful name, which is the safeguard of the living and the salvation of the dying. O purest Mary, O sweetest Mary, let thy name henceforth be ever on my lips. Delay not, O Blessed Lady, to help me, whenever I call on thee; for, in all my temptations, in all my needs, I shall never cease to call on thee, ever repeating thy sacred name, Mary, Mary.

O what consolation, what sweetness, what confidence, what emotion, fill my soul when I utter thy sacred name, or even only think of thee. I thank the Lord for having given thee, for my good so sweet, so powerful, so lovely a name. But I will not be content with merely uttering thy name. Let my love for thee prompt me ever to hail thee, Mother of Perpetual Help.


Nine Hail Marys
O Lord Jesus Christ, who gave us your Mother Mary, whose renowned image we venerate, to be a Mother ever ready to help us; grant we beseech You, that we who constantly implore her motherly aid, may merit to enjoy perpetually the fruits of Your redemption, Who lives and reigns forever and ever.    Amen.

REMEMBER, O MOST GRACIOUS VIRGIN MARY, THAT NEVER WAS IT KNOWN THAT ANYONE WHO FLED TO THY PROTECTION OR SOUGHT THY AID WAS LEFT UNAIDED......


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIRD NOVENA PRAYER TO OUR MOTHER OF PERPETUAL HELP
(Third, Sixth and Ninth Day)

O Mother of Perpetual Help, thou art the dispenser of all the gifts which God grants to us miserable sinners; and for this end He has made thee so powerful, so rich, and so bountiful, in order that thou mayest help us in our misery. Thou art the advocate of the most wretched and abandoned sinners
who have recourse to thee: come to my aid, for I recommend myself to thee.

In thy hands I place my eternal salvation, and to thee I entrust my soul. Count me among thy most devoted servants; take me under thy protection, and it is enough for me. For, if thou protect me, I fear nothing; not from my sins, because thou wilt obtain for me the pardon of them; nor from the
devils, because thou art more powerful than all hell together; nor even from Jesus, my judge, because by one prayer from thee He will be appeased.

But one thing I fear: that in the hour of temptation I may through negligence fail to have recourse to thee and thus perish miserably. Obtain for me, therefore, the pardon of my sins, love for Jesus, final
perseverance, and the grace ever to have recourse to thee, O Mother of Perpetual Help.


Nine Hail Marys

O Lord Jesus Christ, who gave us your Mother Mary, whose renowned image we venerate, to be a Mother ever ready to help us; grant we beseech You, that we who constantly implore her motherly aid, may merit to enjoy perpetually the fruits of Your redemption, Who lives and reigns forever and ever.    Amen.

REMEMBER, O MOST GRACIOUS VIRGIN MARY, THAT NEVER WAS IT KNOWN THAT ANYONE WHO FLED TO THY PROTECTION OR SOUGHT THY AID WAS LEFT UNAIDED......

Printer Version here
.

7 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful Novena! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing.

    [It is so very hard to keep the secularist celebration out of my domestic church.]--I sigh with you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a Protestant church, and my kids go to a Protestant school, so I have been maybe a little slow to truly understand Advent, but honestly, I really enjoy all of it. :) The kids sing Christmas songs and will have a Christmas play at school, and we discuss and experience advent in our home, followed by the joy of Christmas at church. One of the things I have come to love and enjoy about the Catholic church is the liturgical year, and feel that by not experiencing this, the others are truly missing a big blessing. But I can rejoice with everyone at the birth of Christ - no matter what the time of year. At the same time, it's really hard to impart to my kids the same understanding of advent that it has taken me so long to gain. The seasons of the church bless me, and I want them to bless my kids as well. It is to our gain to truly experience Advent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what's funny is that I was baptized in Our Lady of Perpetual Help church, and suddenly, I am seeing images, prayers and other assorted mentions of her absolutely everywhere. I wonder what Our Lady is trying to tell me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly believe God talks to us through others... This is exactly what I needed to find today, but hadn't realized it until I read it here.

    Thank you so much for sharing, dear Barbara.

    Praying you have a blessed Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you. I needed to read something like this today. I'm having such a bad day (week really, and it's only Tuesday) and trying so hard to not cry... so thank you for posting something that can help me to be pro-active in my prayer life. :) Many blessings to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to share, Charlotte and Jenny. One of the many beauties of our Church is that there is always a prayer that is just right for the moment you need it.

    Sheila,
    It took most of my adult life to figure out Advent. And that's o.k. At least we made it!

    Jennie,
    You're a smart girl. I'm sure you've figured it out!

    Lori and Teresa,
    I'm glad I felt the need to share and I'm glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!