Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Saturday, August 21, 2010

Movie Review: The Young Victoria


.

Doug was off golfing with old pals all day, so after I finished my to-do list this afternoon, I grabbed some crochet work and popped in The Young Victoria. After I finished watching, I truly could have started it over and watched again, and may do so yet tonight. It is the beautiful love story of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert -- filmed in the fashion of a Jane Austen story (in fact, you would know the actor who plays Prince Albert as the man who played the evil Mr. Wickham in the most recent version of Pride and Prejudice).

Though much of the movie is historical in nature (and I have no idea if it is accurate), I didn't try to grasp too many of the details regarding the line of succession to the throne, instead focusing on the beauty of their romance and marriage.


.

8 comments:

  1. How clean is it? Not concerned about language but about sensuality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY clean. VERY, VERY clean. :) These are the original Victorians, after all!
    AS for accuracy--if you're interested, I can help you--Queen Victoria and her reign was a focus of study for me in college. I love Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, but, sadly, their romance wasn't quite as its made out to be--*she* was always in love with him, after she met him as Queen, but *he* was not quite as in love with *her* until later in their marriage. There's more, of course, but I don't know how historical geeky y'all are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this movie!! and yes, it's very clean. The "raciest" it gets is a picture of them in their bed as husband and wife -- wearing more clothes than we do out in public these days ;).
    I watched it twice and Rob watched it with me once, and he enjoyed it as well. But he is major history buff who filled me in on all the details while we were watching. It's like watching a movie with the crib notes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, we loved this one, too! It was so romantic; they were so in love. And I'd have to say that it was a little racier than I expected. They had something like 8 children and you could tell from the movie that they had a good love life! But if you're comparing it to what's out there now, it's fine, and they're a married couple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to put it in queue.
    Say, she is the actress that played in Jane Austen Book Club film as well. That film was okay, but only for adults and I doubt many men would like it. It was PG13, I think, but I wouldn't let anyone under 15 watch it. *lesbianism in it - nothing graphic, but none the less . . .*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished watching it and loved it! Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED this movie! It makes me smile just thinking about it. And I still can't get over how CLEAN it was.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!