Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, April 19, 2010

I Found the Cable

.

It never ceases to amaze me how the promise of financial gain motivates my offspring. After offering a reward, Noah came up with the aforementioned missing camera cable this afternoon. It was about five feet from its usual place, stuffed in a basket (and that's the problem with so many baskets).

Anyway, the pictures of the veil are not great, but they give you an idea of what I did. Though the beige tablecloth gives the fabric some color, it's really all white-white.

I used a comb that we will place in Faith's hair at the back of the crown -- probably above a high curly ponytail. I would love to do an upsweep, but her hair is so soft, I'm afraid it would fall during Mass.



I gathered the fabric -- an embroidered organza and stitched it to the comb -- the comb was fabric covered, which made it easy.




As I was stitching on the fabric, I stitched on the organza flowers to cover the stitching. The flowers were a little pricey, but worth it. I have a slightly larger version that will go at the empire waist of the dress.



Then I had a dilemma, about which I consulted the seamstress extraordinaire Cheryl Matis. My fabric had a beautiful embroidered edge, but when I attempted to hem the sides, they looked awful. I ultimately cut off the embroidered edge and hand-stitched a pretty crocheted lace. It's very dainty and feminine. Thanks, Cheryl. It worked out perfectly.


And just because these are so pretty, I'm sharing the view out my back window this morning. The fog gave the illusion of what my romantic daughter would have called an "enchanted forest." She slept so late, she missed the whole thing.

Now, I'm off to stitch fluttery sleeves. St. Anne, pray for me.





.

10 comments:

  1. The veil is so very beautiful. Good job,{really... extodinaire), Barb. ss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Oh, Oh, Barbara! Your last two posts make me want to get some major sewing rolling. You're doing a spectacular job on everything, labors filled with loving hands and something to last forever.

    You may not know it but your mother's heart will always cherish this time, the time of creating your precious Faith's beautiful dress and veil, the goal and final end is so she can wear it to obtain her next Sacrament of First Holy Communion! When all that is placed into perspective, it's so beautiful, isn't it?

    I remember being so frustrated working with my heirloom fabrics and laces too, but you know, three out of four of my girls have worn it, and I fall in love anew every time I bring it out again.

    Just think what the nuns of days passed used to do, hand sewing all the time making these same garments. Oh...gives me goosebumps. :) Great job! Well done! More pics please when she wears it on her special and holy day. grin,grin

    Oh, lovely new header, fabulous foggy/misty morning, makes me think it might be spring? Oh yes. Okay, I just wrote a book on your comment section, sorry...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful veil! I am so in awe...

    And your forest/backyard! I am always jealous when I see pictures of your greenery back there. And with the mists? Heavenly!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The veil is lovely!!

    The pictures make me want to sit out there with a sweatshirt on drinking tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her veil! -- and I am certain the rest of the dress will be just gorgeous. My godmother made Francie's first Communion dress and it was so special to her. She got many compliments because it looked so different and lady-like compared to the other girls. Homemade is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so beautiful!!! How special to have such a beautiful dress for such an important occasion made by such a wonderful mother. Your sweet Faith is so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peach's veil is beautiful! You're doing a gorgeous job! Can't wait to see finished pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot sew at all so I admire you.

    Love the deck that was built around the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful veil! I assume the pictures are of your back yard...great deck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful veil. Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!