Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Saturday, April 03, 2010

Easter Pretties and Faith Lessons



.


For Regan -- the daffodils not only survived the snow, but they lasted long enough to make it into my Easter table decorations.



Bunnies dancing -- spring has sprung.



All my children fight over who gets to pour water with the bunny picture. Sillies.




Fresh new napkins for Easter. (Just a few yards of fabric make a lot of new napkins!)




Flowers to take to my mother (did you know that with a little floral tape anyone can make their own arrangement? I learned something new today.)


A slightly crooked Hot Milk Cake (but as I explained to Maggie the dog, who was the only one in the room while I was frosting, the best cakes are a little crooked).


~~~~~~~




I firmly believe that a good marriage depends on three (or more) things that, each day, are left unsaid. Days spent spring cleaning with one's husband are days that provide more than three opportunities to bites one's tongue.

I keep a tidy house, but it's not perfect. There are dust bunnies under a few beds and dog hair collects every afternoon in the corners of the family room. Sometime I get to it, sometimes I don't. But, when my husband gets to it before me, I usually feel guilty -- I should have done it, made it a priority. Yeah, there are lots of things that should be priorities aren't there?

Today my husband was trying to pitch in while I finished up spring cleaning and getting ready for Easter. He thoughtfully asked if there was something he could do and I said, "Yes, you can wipe off all the doors and the baseboards in the hall (we have white woodwork)." He went to work, but he's like a mouse with a cookie and the next thing I knew, he had the paint out. Ugh.

There's nothing like wet paint and kids and a busy household to make for trouble. And with every little touch up he asked me "How? How does the paint get so beat up?" I answered, "I don't know," about 30 times before I finally said, " Honey, we were not put on this earth to have perfect woodwork."

It's nice to have things picture perfect, but life is not picture perfect is it? We nick the woodwork, say things we wish we should keep in, yell at the kids, lose our patience. And yet, each day we wake up and start over -- a fresh new day.

Tomorrow we also have a fresh new start -- a resurrection. Alleluia!


.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Barbara!! If I didn't know better, I'd think that was my DH and I you were telling us about!!!
    How does that happen? While I love him dearly, sometimes I know I should politely decline his offer to help with the household chores.
    Most recent example: I also had to honestly answer "I don't know," three times when asked, "Where did this stain come from?" while DH was vacuuming the living room. He not only used the crevice tool around the room, but also the attachment to run over the furniture, then ran to get his shopvac to vacuum the blades on the ceiling fan. Of course it wasn't quite right, so he washed the top of the blades because they were still dirty. Then he had to remove the globe from the light to wash it. Everything was squeaky clean and wonderful -- but all I asked for was the floor to get a quick sweeping...
    I know, I know, and I AM very thankful for his help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really made me laugh. Today I was thinking it would be sooooooo nice if the Mr. would get off his can and do something useful for once. . . . and I bit my tongue . . . I just wished and, he got up! he bought bolts to bolt the boys beds' headboards on! That was driving us all nuts - 'cos we like our beds made neatly around here, but with loose headboards, it can be dangerous! Now, if he would find time to hang all the pics on the floor at the end of the hall . . . we've been living here for what? almost a year! HA! One thing at a time.
    In the mean time, I cleaned out and organized the linen closet that was a catch all for a while. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray! barb!
    they are so beautiful.
    they look like they came from the florist!
    i am so glad they survived.
    we are having another icky spell of weather-so this post really brightened my morning!
    wishing you more easter pretties and tons of alleluia blessings!

    (i liked that bit about picture perfect life-it certainly isn't so-but it is nice to have an occasional picture perfect moment-like all of your beautiful flowers here-that captures some of the perfect-which our imperfect eyes don't always see-God' blessings are innumerable!)

    xo across the miles!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!