Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, February 01, 2010

Woman's Winter Daybook

.


Outside my window...old snow. It's cold -- 13 degrees. It's been sunny and cold for many days now and I'm not shy to admit that sunny and cold is my least favorite combination. It's deceiving. We sit in our nice warm home and look outside thinking how very pleasant it is, and then when we open the door we get an Arctic blast in the face. We didn't get any of that fun weather that many other people around the country got. Nothing fun at all.

I am thinking...about an unpleasant weekend. Nothing I can talk about without weeping. Suffice it to say my children behaved badly and I am sad. I feel like a complete and utter failure.

I am thankful for...new beginnings, even if it's only Monday morning.

From the learning rooms...a new quarter. Peach did very well on her cursive handwriting -- i and t so far. She said she couldn't do it, but she did. Eighth grade math is getting harder for Noah and I'm wondering if we should slow down even more than one lesson a day. He does well on tests, but not on daily homework. Hmmm. What does that mean?

From the kitchen...Shepherd Pie and Irish Brown Bread for St. Brigid of Ireland's feast day.

I am wearing...a pink and white flannel nightgown and my new white terry robe (thanks, Leila, I needed one) and...my Haflinger clogs. It's still early and I'm alone.

I am creating...22 sets of Sacrifice Beads by mid-week.

I am going...to the health food store where I buy my yeast -- half a pound of baking yeast for $2.

I am reading...blogs and not a thing else.

I am hoping...for a happy day.

I am hearing...
Maggie chewing a rawhide. She is the chewingest dog we've ever had. She goes through a medium-sized rawhide every day. I suspect she needs more exercise.

Around the house... laundry and ironing. Mucho laundry. Doug had a spigot put in the garage on Saturday and while the plumber was here the water was off for long enough to put me back on my laundry. Then college boy came home yesterday afternoon and monopolized the machines all afternoon. Almost two days without doing laundry and I have some serious mountains.

One of my favorite things...a new month. February is going to be a big month for us -- lots of things going on. I'm praying I can handle them all well.

A few plans for the rest of the week...a new quarter in school, St. Brigid's Feast Day today and Candlemas tomorrow.

A picture thought... One of the many events on our calendar this month is a black tie party for Doug and I. It's his big bash for the hospital foundation. The dress I will wear has a neckline in need of jewels, so I made my own pretty baubles, on Friday night while Doug and I watched the sequel to The Note.



.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful necklace and earrings set Barbara! Sending you many hugs for a refreshing week, one that will offer you grace, lift your spirits, and keep your chin up. I'll be thinking of you as you continue beading, feasting, celebrating and hopefully, taking time out for the mommy when necessary. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful baubles! Sorry about the kids. That's a rotten feeling that I'm all too familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I'm showing up as my husband again. It's really your GA peach friend, Sara! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous jewelry!
    Well, our kids will disappoint us now and again . . . I just hate it that I end up disappointed in my reaction to my disappointment in their behaviour. Ugh! Vicious circle.
    Hope your day is blessed and picks up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope today was better for you!
    I would buy the necklace. If you ever decide to branch out into a jewelry store, I'd be on board!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty, pretty beads! You'll have to post a picture when you're all gussied up! Here's to a new week and a new month, and Deo Gratias that His mercies are new every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful beads, Barbara, and another hug for a better week.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!