Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Saturday, November 28, 2009

Preparing the Way

.

I'll be back when I can say something nice. If I speak my mind right now it wouldn't be pleasant. I'll give you a hint: long days in the kitchen.


In lieu of chitchat, I'm posting some resources for good Advent activities. But do not be tempted to line up a big list of projects to work on. In my opinion, Advent activities should prompt discussion, thought, and prayer about the anticipation of the coming of Our Lord. They should not make stress. Just pick a few meaningful activities for your family, and complete them. And talk about Advent. Read my favorite story about preparing the way -- written by the young seminarian at our church last year.

Catholic Mom
has many printables.

Good family activities here -- just pick a few, don't be intimidated by the list. You probably already do some of them.

More things to do -- but remember, just pick a few. Besides setting up the Advent wreath today, we'll be making a paper chain with purple and pink paper, and cutting up yellow and brown "straw" for our manger.

Here is a good list of crafty projects at Catholic Culture -- if you're looking for just one.

And if you have not yet signed up for the Advent Adventure (they will email you an activity each day -- that you can either do, or just hit the delete button).

I created a playlist at iTunes of nine Advent songs. It wasn't as hard to find them as I thought it would be. Copy the lyrics onto pieces of paper and tape them around the school room and kitchen. Eventually the kids will be singing Advent songs (much better than Christmas songs four weeks before Christmas!).

On Jordan's Bank
O Come, O Come Emmanuel
O Come, Divine Messiah
Every Knee Shall Bend
Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
For Unto Us A Child Is Born
Creator of the Stars of Night
Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus
The Angel Gabriel from Heaven Came

And here is our list of Advent reading (some we'll save for closer to Christmas). You probably already have some, and maybe the library has a few.

Saint Francis and the Christmas Donkey by Robert Byrd
The Clown of God by Tomie dePaola
The Miracle of Saint Nicholas by Gloria Whelan/ Judith Brown
Saint Nicholas by Ann Tompert/ Michael Garland
Saint Nicholas: The Real Story of the Christmas Legend by Julie Stiegemeyer/ Chris Ellison The Legend of Saint Nicholas by Demi
The Real Santa Claus by Marianna Mayer
The Lady of Guadalupe by Tomie dePaola
The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie dePaola
The Night of Las Posadas by Tomie dePaola
The Very First Christmas by Paul Maier/ Francisco Ordaz
A Small Miracle by Peter Collington
The Donkey's Dream by Barbara Helen Berger
The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado/ Liz Bonham

The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry/ Lisbeth Zwerger
..

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list of Advent songs. I knew there was appropriate music for this season obviously but I hadn't complied a list. I think I may even splurge and buy them all on Itunes and make an Advent folder, too. Those are beautiful songs and shouldn't be skipped over!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, I am so behind. I've got the wreath and candles and I know where the manger is so I can put it out (empty) but I haven't done the paper chain...I'm not feeling inspired this year. I need to muster it up for the kids!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!