Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, October 29, 2009

Can we lose this tradition?

..



Last evening we carved our pumpkins. Sigh. Every year I swear this will be the last and the next year we'll just leave our pretty little pumpkins whole for the entire season. But, sure enough the next year I'm found spreading newspaper on the kitchen table and listening to the griping that goes on for an hour or more while the kids, who begged me to do this, complain about it every step of the way. I'm stupid -- that's my only excuse.

"I don't like scraping the gook." "My face doesn't look right." "He said mine is dumb."

Pish -- "It's just a jack-o-lantern!"

The saving grace this year was the one I carved. Her beautiful face gave me some peace. You can't see it very well when it's lit, but I like it anyway. Radiant Mary at the Birth of Christ.



And then, of course, there's the pumpkin seeds, which make the work worthwhile.

.

4 comments:

  1. Another look
    http://www.realliferosary.com/pns.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're funny!! I'm not a big fan of pumpkin carving myself, Barbara. We haven't even gotten pumpkins yet this year ... But there's still a few days, right?! Actually, my 4 and 5 years olds painted the small pie-sized ones a few weeks ago ... That was easy! =) But your pumpkin with the Blessed Mother carved into it IS pretty ... Enjoy her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, your pumpkin is BEAUTIFUL!!

    We carved ours yesterday morning, and I roasted the pumpkin seeds for the first time. I was watching them so closely, and then I left them in just 5 more minutes (which turned into 10) and I overcooked them... I was so disappointed. Especially since my hubby LOVES pumpkin seeds. Oh well... Next year I will be more careful. =)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!