Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Scheduling Life

.


The days spent schooling after a break are always interesting. It doesn't seem to matter if that break is a few days or an entire summer. Breaking back into school-mode is always difficult. These past few days have been the usual trial, since we had spring break last week. It's always a toss up as to whether that time off was worth it for me, sometimes I think we'd be better off never taking a break. My students rebel, they come back to the school table with "game head" (that's when your child can't really have a complete thought because he's gotten used to the video game responding to the push of a button -- working out a math problem, for example, is impossible with "game head"), they've forgotten how to do math, or sound out words. It's just plain ugly.

Before our break began, however, I thought I needed a break to help me get back on track. We were getting really loosey-goosey with our school days. I know that some teachers prefer a loosely-scheduled day, but I think I've mentioned before that we need structure to keep us going. I had great plans for our break week to get the rest of the year scheduled, to work on study guides, to plan some fun stuff. Ha! I got to Sunday night and whatdoyaknow? I had nothing prepared.

I realized, again, that I need a schedule, even on my break days, to keep me on-task and motivated. I think it might be time to read A Mother's Rule of Life again. It provides inspiration for staying on-schedule the way flipping through a Martha Stewart Living inspires me to clean my house.

The past few days have been successful at least in regard to keeping a schedule. I have printed my daily schedule every day, and kept it taped to my kitchen counter. It's very gratifying to look back over my day and see each item checked off.





.

7 comments:

  1. believe it or not i love that book. and have been very busy trying to manage to "re-apply" some of the things i felt were most important the first time i read it. however, most of my notes that i jotted down were from a different time in our life, we had a different house, chores, etc. so maybe it is time i re-read it again myself.
    a printed schedule is so great for many reasons, staying on task and seeing the "fruits" of your daily labor checked off one by one, just being a few.
    as much as i like spontenaity (spelling?) planned spontenaity is so much nicer sometimes!
    and as for vacation being "worth it"? no, it never really seems to be, but then my kids and hubby will call me hitler if i don't give 'em a break, so i guess i really just allow it to save my reputation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book, too. I go back to it often. And think I will again soon, before summer vacation begins and we've lost all rhythm to our days ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb...thanks for the reminder that I'm not the only struggling to maintain some kind of order! My latest post seems such a pathetic and whining rant...

    I own A Mother's Rule Of Life. Perhaps I need to dust off my copy, or at least revisit the principles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regan,
    If I didn't have forced vacations -- forced by my high schooler's schedule -- I'd be accused of being a dictator too!

    Sarah,
    During the summers especially I need some schedule -- the days just end up running together and nothing gets done!

    Kimberly,
    You would think it's the spring fever getting to us, but I'm afraid that's not my problem. I think it's just getting away from our schedule bit by bit until suddenly we notice there is no schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this post Barbara! It has been several years since I've read AMRL too! I was NOT born with organization! I just plod along...day by day...happy just to have a list made in the first place. I'm praying to be more organized and just more efficient in general. There is so much do to and never enough time to do it all. I can't remember the last time I was "caught up" with laundry.
    Anyway....I like your schedule. It works for you and I'm glad you shared it! I might try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I have been feeling the same way myself lately--like I need to get back on track! So I have small to-do lists for each day (no more than 5 things) and it's so great to cross them all off and see what I've done in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We still haven't gotten back on track since I had the last baby and she is 4 months old!!! We'll be schooling through the summer for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!