Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Saturday, April 04, 2009

Got Advil?

.

Peach is on Day 4 of a mysterious illness. Days one and two came with fever -- up to 102 degrees. Day three came with a headache, or in her words, "When I shake my head, my brain hurts," and no fever, but fairly normal activity. Day four came with fever again.

I try not to medicate, so the fever can do its work, but the few times I noticed she reached 102, I gave her a dose. I'm also not one to run to the doctor at the first sign of illness. After raising one child to the age of 19, I know that the doctor will tell us it's a virus and it will run its course, but I'm starting to get curious about this mysterious "fever of unknown origin."

Is anyone else experiencing the same mystery?

Sunday update: Day 5 came with a cough.



.

6 comments:

  1. My ds7 has had this virus for 3 weeks. I've done the same as you. Our doctor said it will run its course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this virus a few weeks ago. My two little ones right about Peach's age were its main victims. Fever (as high as you said) came and went over the course of a week or two accompanied by cough and congestion. But, I did take them in at the 7 day mark and the doctor did treat one of them with an antibiotic who was still very congested. They both cleared up over the course of the following week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula -- did he have fever on and off for three weeks? Ugh!

    Jane, Today she woke up with a cough -- sounds just like what your girls had. I really hope the big kids can skip this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the same thing Hitch had when we went to Grandmother's funeral. Some days were better and then he'd have fever again. Just like Jane's (above), too. He was sick for a solid 10 days, although he did go back to school on day 8, I would have been happier for him to stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeppers... all four of mine had this crud. Started off with a high fever, then developed an unproductive cough and congestion. Only lasted two or three days with the older ones but hit one of my older ones again a week later. My smallest has had it for awhile and his fever keeps coming and going. I'm like you... won't medicate "just because" but when it gets up there, I give him some. Or if he's not sleeping due to the coughing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I meant to say that I don't routinely medicate fevers either. Not unless they're miserable and not able to rest. I don't seem to be able to tolerate fevers as well as the kids and I get my tylenol sooner! Even if I'm down for the count!

    I'm glad she's feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!