Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, March 12, 2009

Curse You Daylight Savings Time


.

I am sincerely hoping that we turn a corner tomorrow, because as of today I don't think we can get any more tired. Is your tail dragging behind you too?

Did you know that the man who first conceptualized Daylight Savings Time never intended for us to "spring ahead" all in one night? No, he planned for us to take the entire month of April and set the clocks ahead 20 minutes each weekend, for four weekends. Then do the same in reverse in September.

Of course, in our society, we can't be bothered to do things gradually -- just jump right into it. Now our tails are dragging, and all I can think of is a nap.

Someone once told me that we change the clocks for the farmers. I said "Bah! Farmers don't use clocks, they use the sun." My husband tells me it's for the tourism industry -- so people have more time in the evenings to spend money, I suppose.

I still don't know why we all have to change time to accommodate some mysterious group of people who want more light in their evenings. Ask any parent what they prefer and I'll guarantee you that 9 out of 10 parents will keep the old time. Children are standing at the bus in the mornings in the dark of night again. And putting your kids to bed in the summer when it's as bright as noon? No, thanks.

I'm sorry, Mr. Willett, but I completely disagree with you on this one. If you wanted more light to your day, you should have set your alarm earlier! Keep me out of it. I think I'm going to go write to my senator. He's got nothing better to do (except take a nap).

.

9 comments:

  1. I seem to recall that it was instituted during a world war in order to conserve energy????

    I don't know, though. I don't think I've ever looked it up!

    I'd prefer to stay on standard time year round myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. In Hawaii I don't think they mess with the clocks, but since we have family all over the states, I'll still have to be mindful of the change. Darn! I just had my girl brew me a pot of coffee and it's 4:39pm! I am so draggin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so draggin' too. i was just sitting here myself thinking that i need a nap!
    so yes, curse the blasted idea!=)
    i'm going to watch my padre pio movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate, especially to the part about putting kids to bed in the summer when it's still bright out. UGH! This year, in particular, has thrown us for a loop. Everyone is off ... We actually forgot about it, because it seems early this year (?), and we totally missed Mass on Sunday and had to wait for the later one, which of course, jumbled the rest of our plans for the day, then the kids couldn't fall asleep .... You get my drift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do better in the spring than in the fall, since I'm a morning person. But it was SO early this year, and that means that Easter Vigil isn't going to start until it gets dark, which will probably be around 10 PM by April 11...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I (yawn) agree...;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the same boat. One of my littles has a difficult time adjusting to the change: he still gets up at his regular time and now he falls asleep during the day and can't go to sleep at night until 11 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Amen! I hate it to, daylight savings time is torture for mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apparently Arizona doesn't follow daylight savings time. So while I consider most of that State a vast land of desert...it does have one good feature.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!