Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Be careful what you pray for

.

To people who tell me they are praying for patience I always say, "Be careful for what you ask -- God will send you practice."

Yesterday morning, I heard Fr. Corapi talking about gaining faith in God, and he said just the same thing. For any increase in strength, he said, including an increase in matters of the spirit, one must practice. To gain physical strength we must exercise the body. To gain knowledge we must study. To gain faith, we must have our faith tested.

Be careful what you pray for.


.

4 comments:

  1. So true! Like wanting to pray for humility but not wanting to suffer humiliations, yet knowing that is the way to true humility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been praying to remain humble, to make myself the least, and I've been getting some good practice from several corners lately. God answers what you pray for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I'm seeking perseverance. God, help me! Our eldest son is a trial for us at this time. I keep saying - and praying my faith be increased - Jesus, I trust in YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim -- you got it girl. And half the battle is just getting it!

    Aimee, He does, He really does.

    Sarah, You're praying for faith, and you will get trials. My oldest is also making himself a pain in me arse (to steal a phrase from YOU!).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!