Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, January 01, 2009

For the Eighth Day of Christmas...

.

...I am focusing on Our Heavenly Mother with eight beautiful images and a poem.






The Visitation by Albertinelli 1503


The Pieta by Baciccio 1667


Madonna of Belvedere by Raffaello 1506



The Flight into Egypt by George Hitchcock 1892



Madonna and Child by Pompeo Batoni 1742




Madonna with St. Francis by Correggio 1514




Our Lady Worshipping Child by Correggio 1489




Madonna della Scala by del Sarto 1522



Soft and blue are thy robes, my Mother,
Azure and clear as an angel's eyes -
Let me hide in them, oh, my Mother -
Radiant Queen of the summer skies!

Softly piled on the far horizon
Smoky white clouds drifting here and there;
These the border on your blue mantle -
Mother most holy.....Virgin most fair!

Deep and blue and wide is the ocean -
Deep as the call of its peace to me;
Jeweled and shining.....Thy veil, my Mother?
Thy silvered veil, oh Star of the sea?

by Edith M. Stoney


Happy Eighth Day of Christmas, and Happy Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God.






.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful images! Happy New Year, Barbara!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful the images are. Wishing your family the happiest and healthiest of New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Peace and joy this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely reflection, Barb...so very perfect for this Solemnity!! Blessings to you and a most Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful images! Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, ladies. I could have found many, many more images that I just love (had I not limited myself to eight). I would be so happy to have each of these prints in my home so I could have Our Lady in each room with us.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!