Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, December 12, 2008

Weekly Liturgical Activities

.

I have managed to finish my shopping for the 76-year-old lady whose name we picked from the giving tree, and I picked up lots of groceries for the food pantry. Doug is delivering both today. Since I have two major tasks checked off, I gave myself permission to post liturgical activities.


Tomorrow is the feast of St. Lucy -- which is fun for so many Catholic families. And Sunday, which happens to be Gaudete Sunday (rejoice!) is also the feast of St. John of the Cross. There is not much for kids on him, but at least read his story -- as a Doctor of the Church, he's such an important figure to remember.


Feast of St. Lucy -- December 13

Read a child appropriate biography here.

Learn about St. Lucy traditions here and here.

Here is a recipe for the traditional Lucy buns here, but I think we'll stick with traditional Sticky buns or maybe Cinnamon bun bread, both tried and true (you can adapt either of those recipes and put the buns in a ring or bundt pan for a crown shape). You could always do monkey bread, too, which takes the shape of a crown. You can place your candles in the crown of bread or a crown of greenery. Here is another (easier) crown that's guaranteed not set any hair on fire! You'll find a hat for the boys there, too.

Find a couple coloring pages here.

Print and cut St. Lucy paper dolls here.


St. John of the Cross -- December 14

You'll find a child appropriate biography here.

Saint John of the Cross, in the darkness of your worst moments, when you were alone and persecuted, you found God. Help me to have faith that God is there especially in the times when God seems absent and far away. Amen


Third Sunday in Advent -- Gaudete Sunday

You'll find a wonderful short article on Gaudete Sunday here.

Remember to ask the children "what color will Father wear at Mass" -- watch their surprise when he wears rose instead of purple. If they've been paying attention to the Advent candles, maybe they'll guess.

For activities related to the Gospel reading, go here, or download activities here.


Have a beautiful Gaudete week, friends. Use it for the Glory of God!






.

.



3 comments:

  1. Barb,

    I had just posted on this wonderful feast day and want to thank you for the suggestion of monkey bread!! I have everything I need, it's significantly less time consuming and the children love it!! Thanks for a lovely suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb! We made the easier crown last year, and my girls *loved* it!! I had hoped to make a felt one this year, but I never did get around to it. Instead we made more of the paper crowns last night at our Little Flowers meeting! It really is easy and so much fun to make. Have a great week! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are going to be so busy today that poor St. Lucy is getting the short end of the stick!
    I will read her short biography in a Saint book that we have...but other than that....maybe next year!
    Thanks for posting the coloring pages though..I bet we can squeeze in some coloring time.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!