Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Indian Summer

.
Our autumn here in central Ohio has been unseasonably warm, and uncharacteristically dull in color. Picking apples in the orchard yesterday, my girlfriend Joanie I were sweating. And activities that normally end with fall, such as get soaked in the creek, have been extended into October this year. Our air conditioning continues to kick on every once in a while and I go from opening windows in the morning, to closing them in the afternoon, to opening them again in the evening. It's kind of crazy. I want to enjoy the weather, but there is not much to enjoy. These warm autumn days we used to call Indian Summer.

The sky is clear, I'll say that. It's been clear for months. And due to a severe shortage of rain this year, the leaves have gone from green to a dull gold. No gorgeous reds, or bright yellows this year. I fear in just a few days the trees may be naked sticks protruding from the dry earth.

I took some pictures these past few days. If we get the rain that is predicted in the next few days, I thought it might be my only chance to get fall pictures.



Peach doing some creeking on Sunday.


Maybe a fish to catch?


The bright October sun shining through the trees on her head.
I think the temperature reached 90 on Sunday.


She threw a big rock and almost lost her balance.

These Sugar Maples are normally a vibrant orange-yellow. What leaves are left after Ike, are dull and dry.



There are a few leaves left on the Red Maples that are pretty.

At least the mums are gorgeous.
Noah accused me of choosing a USC variety.
He's still sore that the Buckeyes lost that game.
I sometimes find it tiring that even flowers
must have a team affiliation at our house.



I will say there is some autumn happiness in the kitchen, though, and for some good autumn recipes, hop over to my food blog. There are apple and pumpkin dishes to be made.




.

4 comments:

  1. Autumn seems slow in coming everywhere this year. We're still in the high eighties here, and so is our new Kentucky home. I hope this lead into a snowless winter...that would be just our luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant, I hope this DOESN'T lead into a snowless winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing here in Indy area. I really miss the beautiful colors and the sweater weather! We went to the Parke County Covered Bridge Festival yesterday and I was hot all day. It is usually one of my favorite Fall trips and I have to say it wasn't as much fun this year! Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A post with Peach is always perfect, though those mums at the end were a lovely surprise!

    PS. If you need some Fall colors, come visit. Of course, I'm always telling you to come visit.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!