Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Divided We Fall?

.
I am praying hard for the outcome of this presidential election. I'm not listening to pollsters and national media sources who tell us it's over. It's over when it's over. I will pray until the very end, and I'm praying that it's a miracle we get -- a miracle for the culture of life.

I am, however, starting to look beyond the election, and I am beginning to pray for this nation. I have heard several talk radio hosts say that this is the most divisive election this country has ever experienced. I can't say that's true, I've only been voting since I first voted for Ronald Reagan, and I've only been alive since Kennedy. There were a lot of elections before my day. But, even if this is not the most divisive election ever, I will say it is divisive in a way never seen before.

My husband, children and I live in what I believe to be a very typical American city. There is a mix of mostly middle to middle/upper class families with a small population of lower economic class, probably mostly two-incomes, most kids go to school, most families under three children. It's mostly religious, but a mix of Catholic and different Protestant denominations, and probably a lot of not really any religion. There are some minorities, but not all black minorities, there are Asian and middle Eastern and African. In other words, it's not any one thing. And maybe that's why I see what I see, but it's disturbing nonetheless.

What I see as I drive through my own neighborhood, and then my city, and even beyond my city, are yard signs that indicate one neighbor is voting for McCain and his next door neighbor is voting for Obama, and his next-door neighbor is voting for McCain. As you drive down the street you see them alternate, pretty much one for one. In our own neighborhood we have seen signs pop up that have surprised us. You think you know someone, but do you?

I know that this is happening in families too. Husband and wife cancel each other's votes. Children fight with mom and dad and think they don't understand what's at stake. Parents at odds with their children because they are choosing to vote a different party.

I think that in elections past, at least in the first 200 years of this country's elections, what you likely saw were large groups of people voting for one candidate, and then other large groups voting for another. The Polish Catholics voted for one guy, and the English Protestants another. It was divisive, but at least those you lived near, and with, were "on your side."

I said to Doug last night, "after this election, how do you look at people the same way when you know that they voted for the other guy, and you know what's at stake if the other guy is elected?" I know we have to forgive, and I don't even think it's really mine to forgive, but how do you forget? If Obama is elected and he does what we fear (and I am only talking about life issues here), how do you continue to have relationships with people who voted for him?
Link
So much is at stake in this election, at least from the side of life, that I just can't see people getting past it and resuming a normal life. How do you walk out to get your mail and wave at the guy you know voted against life?

This country has so evenly divided itself, right down the middle, that I don't know that it will ever be cohesive again. And will our division be our demise?

Patrick Henry used the phrase "United we stand, divided we fall" in a speech he gave in 1799. “Let us trust God, and our better judgment to set us right hereafter. United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into factions which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs.”

Haunting words, for it appears as though that's exactly what is befalling.


.

15 comments:

  1. Great post Barbara, very well-written.

    What's up with the Obama signs? Some families have 2 or 3 signs for one yard?

    Recently, I saw some Obama signs with No painted on them; now that's clever.

    I also heard on a conservative radio station that most conservatives don't participate in polls, they just come out and vote.

    I am hoping for a miracle as well. That is all we can do. Pray, fast, and hope that our Pro-life candidates will win.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're making one big assumption here Barbara and that is that everyone is as educated a voter as yourself. Obviously I don't have a vote, but my husband does and he had never heard of FOCA until I clued him in. Even many of the pro-choicers are horrified by the ambiguities of the bill that could ultimately result in a born baby being left to die on the table or worse being murdered by the doctor. People just don't understand what it entails or even know it exists at all. Don't assume the worst of people or judge them for something they might not get... just my two cents.

    I am a big supporter of McCain and indeed worked for him in 2000. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in how he has run this campaign, but as far as I'm concerned there is no other choice. HOWEVER... IF Obama wins, what are we to do? Shouldn't we accept it as God's will and continue the struggle? I don't have an answer, this is completely rhetorical... and I really WOULD like an answer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah,
    You're right, I can't know what is in a person's heart, what motivates their vote. But no matter whether one chooses a candidate based on economics, position on abortion, the war, poverty, or even just voting the party line, the result is the same -- a nation divided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And SHAME on a voter who doesn't know their candidate's position on any issue. That voter should stay home on Nov. 4.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On your rhetorical question, Deborah -- I would not ever view a win for Obama as God's will. I don't think that God willed Sodom and Gomorrah to be what it was -- He gave man free will. And I often wonder if this country is turning into a Sodom and Gomorrah -- I wonder how many good men it will take to spare us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: what will we do if Obama is elected? We will continue being Christians and do what we have to do to protect human lives. If the FOCA is signed in to law, that just makes it legal on paper. If we as Christians and as Catholics go out and do what we are called to do, to live the Gospel. We will support women in "hard" situations. We will teach our children and others around us that abstinence is a better choice then abortion. We will help our friends and family to have self-respect for their bodies.

    PP and NOW work very hard at their propaganda machine. People in the pro-life movement need to get a propaganda machine going themselves. Sure it costs money, but with prayer and sacrifice, God will provide for our needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara - Good point. I suppose it is freewill that ultimately decides the outcome. Hadn't looked at it that way! And agreed on voters knowing candidates positions. There should be a test before you cast your ballot! ;-)

    As for a nation divided, don't you think that regardless your politics, a two party system is always going to be divisive?

    There is no way a 50/50 option can be representative of anyone. Look at the way the candidates changed their campaigns after they won the primaries, to see what I mean. They both became more ambiguous in order to try and encompass the huge sphere of voters on either side.

    Wouldn't it be nice to know that if you vote pro-life that you are getting someone who is completely pro-life? (Read anti-Capital punishment or eithanasia) Two parties can never really represent the public. I fear that as such, US elections will always be divisive.

    It might be of interest that here in a country where abortion, thankfully, is still illegal, people are generally rooting for Obama. Ironic to say the least. Of course this is a nation where people have photos of JFK on the wall right next to their pictures of Pope John Paul II. I guess we're big on irony. :)

    Anyways, apologies for rambling and thanks for answering my question. Agreed 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been surprised at my own reaction to people who openly support Obama. We passed a fellow, a black man, in the thrift store a while back, and he was wearing an Obama t-shirt. He seemed nice enough, friendly, and charmed by my Penelope, but all I could think was, "Baby killer." And I think that every time I see a sign in a yard, or a button on a shirt, and I want to stop and ask each person, "Do you know what you're doing?"

    No, it won't be "God's will". Just because we mere mortals are permitted to make our mistakes, that doesn't mean God condones our choices. I can't believe how worried I am about the outcome of this particular election.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All very good points to ponder, and, definitely pray about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara,
    Well written.
    I, too, am plugging my ears and praying like mad. We are making sacrifices as a family, and I hope to goodness that God hears those little children of mine!
    :)
    I am hopeful... but only when I don't read or listen to the news.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have time right now to read all the comments, so I hope I don't repeat!

    except: Great post Barbara!

    I just found out Saturday that a woman in our Catholic homeschool group is pro-Obama for healthcare reasons. I was saddened and shocked at the same time. We are supposed to see her Friday for a halloween get together, I'm not sure what to say if anything to her. She must know all I know, right? I just don't get it! Healthcare? What about the health of that baby left on the table to die, after a "botched" abortion? Still say you are pro-life? But then you can't really be pro-life knowing that your tax dollars will be spent to pay for your neighbors abortion, right?

    All we can do is pray.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The two most horrifying aspects of the FOCA are that tax dollars will be paying for abortion and that doctors will be forced to participate, it eliminates a freedom of conscious clause. The implication for forcing millions of pro-life people to help pay for killing and driving doctors out of their vocations if they refuse to participate in the medical machine is just staggering for a civilization that was founded on liberty and freedom.

    Last night my 10 year old made dozens of NOBAMA signs and hung them in the window of our house- smack dab between two Obama festooned houses. One family is dual military and Catholic and the only thought I keep having is, "How can you possibly be for this man?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara,
    Great post, as usual.
    Re: reacting to people that you know are voting for Obama. This is probably horribly un-Christian and un-Catholic, but--

    There is a woman in my church choir (which is mostly conservative/Republican..lots of military guys, stay-at-home moms, etc) who wore an Obama Neighborhood Organizer shirt to rehearsal. I couldn't even look at her throughout rehearsal, and even though it's almost two months later, I still can't. What really is the kicker is she has a "Democrats for life" sticker on her car, right next to an Obama sticker. The conflicts just make me sick. The man is more pro-abortion than NARAL, for pete's sake.
    I know I should pray for charity, but I really can't bear to look at her and know what she supports.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was thinking this same thing this morning--about how divisive this particular election has become. I really think that this nation has become polarized in a way that I have never seen before.

    I don't think that God's will would extend beyond the Free Will that he gave us when he created us. I think that we need to pray that every voter will really dig deeply and learn about the candidate of their choice--and inform their consciences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a very thoughtful post, Barbara--one of your best, and that's saying a lot!

    The profoundly sad thing is that no matter who wins this election, the hatred and division will still be there. I know that I am guilty of much bias and that, for example, I cannot help judging the person in the car next to me with the Obama or Al Franken sticker.

    This is wrong of me, I know. Our Lord came to call the sinners...and we are all sinners.

    That said, we are also accountable before Him for our decisions in the voting booth. My family attended a holy hour for the election last night and the priest reiterated that "to condone evil is to commit evil."

    We will survive the outcome of this election...I hope!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!