Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A New Year

.


'Tis that time for us again, how about you?

Our first day went well. The kids really enjoy their Schultütes. They were so surprised by a treat for the first day of school! I guess next year they won't be so surprised, but they were very grateful and for that I'm glad.

We started in the basement, for those of you who commented about my dilemma. As predicted, I missed the sunshine. And since the battery in our wall clock is dead, I completely lost track of time. I did, however, get many loads of laundry finished, also predicted (because the laundry room is in the basement and I can field questions and switch loads at the same time).

Peach was very excited about beginning first grade. Is there anything sweeter than first grade? It's all so simple and new. She used those new crayons, and except for a few long reading moments ("can we be done now?") she pleasantly did every exercise, and earned all As, which she informed her brothers and father about. She told Geoffrey after school that she was really happy to be a first grader because now she knows everything!

Noah had a good first day too. He is a kid who enjoys constructive activity, even if he denies it out loud. He is the first child I've had who does not wait to be told to get started. He just looks at his lesson plan and gets to work. I always thought that it was because he only attended kindergarten in school. The others sat in a regular classroom and waited for the teacher to tell them to open the book to page such and such, or get out a piece of paper and begin writing. Joshua always waited for me to tell him to get started -- he went through fourth grade in Catholic school. But, I have spoken to other home schoolers and they have a mixed bunch too. What's your experience? Do you think most home schoolers are self-starters?

Anyway, except for being displeased that he had to redo some math problems and being frustrated that the history answers didn't jump off the pages, Noah had a great day also. I've had mixed feelings this year about the sixth grade books that Seton chooses. I know that many factors go into their choices, cost being a major one (to keep costs down for large families), but I think they will all work out. One advantage I have is having already put one through the middle school years with Seton. And now that he is at an academically-challenging high school, I can see that he was well prepared. A lack of exciting material didn't damage him, and probably prepared him for the tougher high school texts, which are more like college texts if you ask me. I'll keep a watch for boredom in Noah, but my guess is that color pictures wouldn't have him loving history anymore than he does now. He's like his mom, I guess. I'll try to supplement with library books and videos to keep him interested.

Have a great Tuesday, friends, and if you're starting school this week, Happy New Year!

.

3 comments:

  1. Self starters? No, not all. I have one who'll get up and get to work, and the other two big kids may or may not follow her lead. The littles will play, and play, and play, until I pull them away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No self starters here either!! My Nicholas (I can use the real name here, can't I?) is very intelligent, but wants me to be there for everything. This year he will be in 3rd grade and he will have an independant work list. I'm anxious to see how he does with that.

    I have a first grader this year too. (we are starting next week) She is very excited to start. But Nicholas is not, so I figured it wouldn't be fair to make him start early...so she is doing preschool with my 3 year old!

    I loved how you described her innocence and love of starting first grade, how beautiful these precious souls are!!

    I totally understand the laundry thing, when we moved here, I was so excited to have main floor laundry and quite often am folding in the school room while teaching!!

    I need light!! When I wake up, or I should say when I "get up" I have to open all the blinds and let the sunshine in!! I understand it all! Maybe you will have to do some work downstairs and some upstairs?

    Glad your day went good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first day of school went well, too. The only downside? This is my first chance to check in on my favorite blogs this week...

    Glad to hear your day went well!

    God Bless,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!