Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Getting Into Summer

.
This is the first official break week. The big boys are home, as is dad, and Noah has only to finish up his math book (about 20 more lessons) and his book report. Just 30 minutes or so of work each day, and the rest is down time.

This is the time of year when I find myself bored. Crazy, I know. But, I thrive on schedules. I detest hours of the mindless past times in which my children would indulge if allowed. But, I also hate nagging them to read, finish their chores, or go outdoors in the scorching heat. During the school year, everyone just knows their part in the family ballet. But, during the summer, the extra time seems to mix the parts and everyone gets a little lost. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the break in monotony, but the break, to me, is just as much a challenge as the work before the break.

One thing on my agenda this summer is to teach the big boys to cook. I think they will enjoy it, and I know it will benefit them one day. My brothers all cook, and I know they enjoy it -- besides, most of the great chefs are guys, right?

I'm also going to spend a large chunk of my summer in bed. Sounds like I'm a lazy bum doesn't it? Actually I just found out yesterday that our insurance company and a local hospital network finally came to an agreement and settled their contract and now I know I'll be having surgery in July. Prior to that I wasn't sure if my planned surgery would take place. I have to have the big "H" with some extra reconstructive work thrown in. So, for quite a few weeks this summer, I'll be in a reclined position, like it or not.

I'd love to hear what you're doing this summer -- any fun plans? I think they must be more fun than mine!

.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't been commenting much lately, but had to on this one!! I will be praying for you Barbara, wish I was close so I could bring you a meal, but of coures those boys will be great at cooking by then right?

    I feel the opposite way about Summer! I like enjoying it, feeling like a kid. I loved summers when I was a kid, free to play all day, free to swim and bike and no homework!!! I want my kids to have that. So our plans are to swim, go to parks and play, play, play, play!!!

    I DO feel guilty though (a little)! As a homeschooler, we do so much work teaching all year only to be forgotten in the summer! I do have plans for Art, Science and Manners, we HAVE to work on manners! I might do some multiplacation time tests. These are the things we will do when we are bored. I like your cooking idea. I am planning on teaching my Ballerina Rosie how to do dishes by herself, she will be in first grade, I was that age when I started and have been doing them ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Jamie -- good to hear from you. And thanks for reminding me that kids DO need down time. I just have to get over my issues with Guitar Hero being their choice of entertainment!!

    I think Peach is ready for dishes, too. She unpacks the dishwasher like a pro (if only she could reach those cabinets!)-- maybe she's ready for pots and pans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way about summer as you are. And just when we figure out the "summer ballet" it ends and we all have to adjust to school again!

    Guitar Hero is big around here too...sigh...I withhold video-game privileges until chores are done and if a certain someone doesn't shape up, the internet will be the next to go.

    Wishing you a quick recovery from your upcoming surgery. I will be praying for you also. Will you be teaching your guys to make that fabulous barbecued chicken? That was easy enough for a teen to handle, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara,

    You will be in my prayers. Wishing you a quick and easy recovery. God Bless,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be praying for you!

    tons great bulk freezing recipes over at www.menus4moms.com
    She has many great tips, we love so many of those recipes. The basic subscription is free and they send you a weekly email with a menu and grocery list to print or download. I recently got her ebook about bulk cooking. It is worth it, she tells you everything.

    Good luck teaching those boys to cook:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!