Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Now It's All Funny

.
Today has been a little bit of a letdown sort of day. Last night the weathermen were all in a lather over a storm coming in. Loads of snow was predicted and this morning school was cancelled. I think the schools were anticipating more loads of snow all day today. We were all happy last night at the thought of inches of snow because we haven't had much of the white stuff this year, but so far we have mostly had rain. Michael, Peach and I were going to go "do school" at grandma and grandpa's today, so they felt gypped of some grandparently attention and a lunch out.

The snow that fell last night is lying limply on the ground in a sort of slushy frozen mess. The kids were happy to have the day off, but, as usual, they really don't know what to do with themselves when faced with an entire day of nothing to do. They can't play in the snow because it's raining.

Peach and I watched "The Song of Bernadette" this morning, since we ran out of time yesterday, but she grew bored and I finished it myself. I made bagels for lunch, which was nice -- munching on hot, fresh bagels while the sky dripped down outside. I'm posting the recipe on my food blog if you're interested.

The reason for this post, however, is not to grouse about the dreary weather, but to post a tidbit of information that I pulled out of my dresser drawer when I was purging the other day. I found it this morning when I was tidying up the bedroom. I have saved it since Anthony (now 18) was in preschool.

I am not a saver kind of person, so the fact that I have hung onto this piece of paper means it's pretty worthwhile. I think I'll hang onto it some more. It's a developmental guideline of sorts that one of Anthony's preschool teachers gave me. It's not the sort of guideline that tells you when your child should be able to sit up, or run, or climb. It tells you what sort of behaviors you can expect at any given preschool age. I have found it to be pretty right on, especially with the boys. Peach has been "off" by a month or two at different times, but it's pretty darn close. I get a kick out of reading it, especially now when I can look back and remember the sorts of behaviors described. Of course, now it's all funny.

This little brochure is titled "Things to Know As You Help Me Grow." I think when you're in the midst of raising little ones it really helps to see that your child's behavior is normal enough that someone else printed it on a brochure. I hope this information helps someone else out there as much as it helped me. Please don't be upset if your child is not exactly on target, as I mentioned, Peach was off a little -- being off a little is very normal. And keep in mind that this was written by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs, not a physician.

AGE 2 to 3

It is normal for me to....

2 years
❂ enjoy cooperating
❂ be sure footed
❂ understand and use language
❂ be able to wait a minute
❂ be loving and affectionate

2 and 1/2 years
❂ be at a peak of disequilibrium
❂ be rigid and inflexible
❂ insist on making decisions
❂ struggle making and accepting choices
❂ struggle as I go from one activity to another
❂ refuse new clothes, food, furniture
❂ have some interest in toileting

I need you to...
❂ work around me rather than force me.
❂ stay close and keep me well supervised, but try to avoid meeting me head on.
❂ keep things simple and consistent
❂ follow my rigid routines and rituals.
❂ streamline my routines.


AGE 3 to 4

It is normal for me to...

3 years
❂ want to conform and cooperate
❂ share my things and experiences
❂ feel secure with myself and others
❂ makes friends and use "we" a lot
❂ begin to take turns
❂ love to talk and use new words

3 and 1/2 years
❂ have imaginary companions
❂ be shy and a bit insecure
❂ act out tensions by nail biting, eye blinking, tics, thumb sucking, etc.
❂ be clumsy and unstable
❂ make demands, "don't look," "don't talk"

I need you to...
❂ join in my imaginative play.
❂ provide me with chances to have friends.
❂ accept my clumsiness without worrying.
❂ read and talk to me so I can learn new words.
❂ tolerate my jealous demands of you.

AGE 4 to 5

It is normal for me to be...

4 years
❂ be out-of-bounds
❂ hit, kick, and throw fits
❂ use bathroom and obscene words
❂ defy adults
❂ enjoy my friendships more positively
❂ boast and tell tall tales
❂ feel secure in my environment

4 and 1/2 years
❂ try and sort out real from pretend
❂ wish to draw real things
❂ stick with an activity to the end
be interested in letters and numbers
enjoy discussions

I need you to...
❂ don't take my out-of-bounds behavior too seriously.
❂ tell me stories and talk things out.
❂ provide me with chances to draw and work with my hands.


AGE 5 to 6

It is normal for me to...

5 years
❂ be friendly and calm
❂ be reliable, stable, and content
❂ enjoy my home base, especially mom
❂ try to please others
❂ enjoy being told and given permission

I need you to...
❂ be near me.
❂ enjoy this peaceful period.

5 and 1/2 years
❂ be difficult and negative
❂ have swinging emotions
❂ want to be the center of the world
❂ want to win and come in first
❂ struggle with making choices
❂ blame my mother for everything

I need you to...
❂ help me learn winning isn't everything.
❂ understand I am having a difficult time.
❂ bypass my unpleasantness when you can.
❂ look to others beside mom to help me.



.

3 comments:

  1. It has been a while since I've had the time to read around the blog world...but I am so VERY GLAD to have clicked on here today.

    Thank you for this. It was the exact thing I needed to hear tonight. A bit of the Holy Spirit at work, I'm sure of it.

    It sums up where we're at with the younger two boys right now (2 1/2 and 5 1/2) and it reminds me that there will be periods of change and periods of calm.

    Definitely words worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that guide looks really familiar! I think I had one around when Big Brother (now 16) was a little guy. But it sure does hit Little Brother (5 1/2) right where he lives. Thanks for posting it. And I hope your kids get that chance to see their grandparents. You can never do enough of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little reminder that children will be children. Thanks! It's amazing how quickly we forget that, and expect, say, a three year old girl to behave more like, say, her twelve year old sister. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!