A little over a week ago, I started counting my laundry loads per this post. I made two fresh batches of soap and began to track how many loads I get from one batch, to compare the cost to Tide he.
After making pretty little tick marks on a sheet of paper next to the washer (it is slightly addictive, isn't it Jennie?), the verdict is in and the cost difference is greater than I imagined. From one batch of "the recipe" -- see below -- I washed 32 loads. From one bottle of Tide he, I can get 26 loads -- and that's not accounting for Tide's miscalculations that seem to be happening.
My cost for one batch of "the recipe" is $2.69, compared to one $6 bottle of Tide he (at my discount grocer). That makes my cost per load with "the recipe" $.08 compared to Tide's $.23. I knew that I was saving money, but didn't know it was that much.
I'm really glad I did the calculation. It takes very little time for me to make the laundry soap, and now I know that it's worth every minute. The big surprise of the laundry test though, was that I did 26 loads of laundry in one week (and I even have a big washing machine). I say that's ridiculous, but so far I haven't figured a way around it. The fact of the matter is, I wash for five adult-sized people. I suppose that when I'm out of work as a mom, I know I'll be good at something!