Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, February 18, 2008

More Dirt on Laundry

A little over a week ago, I started counting my laundry loads per this post. I made two fresh batches of soap and began to track how many loads I get from one batch, to compare the cost to Tide he.

After making pretty little tick marks on a sheet of paper next to the washer (it is slightly addictive, isn't it Jennie?), the verdict is in and the cost difference is greater than I imagined. From one batch of "the recipe" -- see below -- I washed 32 loads. From one bottle of Tide he, I can get 26 loads -- and that's not accounting for Tide's miscalculations that seem to be happening.

My cost for one batch of "the recipe" is $2.69, compared to one $6 bottle of Tide he (at my discount grocer). That makes my cost per load with "the recipe" $.08 compared to Tide's $.23. I knew that I was saving money, but didn't know it was that much.

I'm really glad I did the calculation. It takes very little time for me to make the laundry soap, and now I know that it's worth every minute. The big surprise of the laundry test though, was that I did 26 loads of laundry in one week (and I even have a big washing machine). I say that's ridiculous, but so far I haven't figured a way around it. The fact of the matter is, I wash for five adult-sized people. I suppose that when I'm out of work as a mom, I know I'll be good at something!


The Recipe


1 bar Fels Naptha Soap, grated (I do this in the food processor)
1 c. Arm and Hammer washing soda
1 c. Borax
Mix and use 1 -2 Tbs for medium load.

.

2 comments:

  1. Still no Fels Naptha soap here, but if I ever run across it, I'll give this another try. I do so like the tick marks, too. 62 loads of laundry last month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly what I use! I order my soap an online store...buythecase.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!