Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, September 07, 2007

Yes, I would Like Some Cheese With My Whine

...and some crackers, too.

Sorry about that, and the forthcoming pity party.

Last week, while I was hanging out shirts and pants, it occurred to me that with the loss of one young man to my homeschool, I also gained some more laundry -- five shirts and pants a week to be washed and ironed, to be exact.


Don't mind that pink thing in the middle of the picture.
And don't you love my clothesline prop. Isn't it perty?


For mom, dad and two young men to go to work and school -- that's 10 cotton shirts, 10 golf shirts, and 20 khaki pants to wash and iron. Once October hits and the big boys switch to shirts with ties, that will be 20 cotton shirts and 20 khaki pants. Add in Sunday church clothes for everyone and we have a grand total of 22 cotton shirts, 24 khaki pants, 3 casual shirts, a couple skirts or dresses -- and that does not include what the two youngest wear at home -- or the ridiculous number of clothes-changes that Peach requires.

Ugh. O.k. I'm finished. Pardon me. I just had to tell someone. No one at home cares. They have no sympathy whatsoever. I believe I need a prayer.

St. Ignatius' Prayer of Generosity:

Lord, teach me to be generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve;

to give and not to count the cost,

to fight and not to heed the wounds,

to toil and not to seek for rest,

to labor and not to ask for reward,

save that of knowing that I do your will.

I ask my prayer in Jesus' name. Amen.

.

6 comments:

  1. I say it's time for those handsome, well-dressed young men to take over the "well-dressed" part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally I would agree with you on that -- but my 9th grader has had four to five hours of homework each night. And my 12th grader is not far behind. Their schedule is: leave for school at 7 a.m., return home at 5 p.m. and start homework. For the past 10 days they've been at homework until 9 or 10 at night. I guess I'd feel like Cinderella's stepmother to ask for washing and ironing after that.

    I'll muddle through -- at least I can watch the Food Network while I do my "homework."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, you have my sympathies and my prayers.

    Now I'll quit whining about all the laundry I have....at least I don't have to iron much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear the same whiney shoes as you, Barbara! I do all the laundry around here...school clothes, work clothes, play clothes!!! I even do the restaurant uniform that my second son wears and comes home STINKING!!!!!!!!!!! I had to ask him what the foul smell was on his clothes....it's the dry batter mix used to fry the "blooming onion." Those get washed all by themselves! I LOVE LAUNDRY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, could you just pull the clothes out of the drier, give them a good shake, and hang em up without so much ironing? I also let my boys wear their pants more than one day before I wash them. I find if you lower your laundry expectations no one else notices, and pretty soon you don't either. My 4 boys could not care less. I just try to keep them reasonably clean and spiffy looking.

    Am I being just plain lazy???

    Texas Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not lazy at all, Texas Mom. I do dry them for 15 minutes before putting them on the line. Some of dh's shirts come off the line looking pretty good, but he's pretty picky, so they do need a quick press. The boys don't like poly blend shirts -- it's 100 percent cotton for them, which usually needs quite a bit of steam and muscle -- ugh! I do let their trousers go for two days -- unless they get food on them (or ink, or pencil, or dirt) and that happens, oh, all the time!

    I agree that they could not care less and I've seen the boys they go to school with and I guarantee most of their clothes do not see an iron -- ever! I should lower my standards and with the level of homework help I'm providing my freshman son each eve, that day may be very soon!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!