Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Can you help me, because I don't get it?

.



I don’t get the space program in this country. You might think ill of me, but I just don’t understand why we continue to send men and women into space? I know it’s exciting and all that – checking out “infinity and beyond.” But, once again, we have fellow human beings out in space with a damaged shuttle, trying to decide if they should fix it because they might be incinerated on re-entry. I don’t get it.

I know, I know, they understand the risks. But do they? Do their families really understand and agree to those risks? I mean they are not risking their lives to defend their fellow man against an unjust government; or helping their fellow man by fighting crime; or saving lives by fighting fires.

And then there’s the money. According to some reports I read, NASA spent $17 billion last year. That’s a lot of money. Even if it is only like 0.8 percent of total federal expenditures, that’s a lot of money.

And I know the space program accomplishes more than just exploration. There’s satellite television for one. But, do we really need satellite television (or radio or telephones or whatever is up next)? And then, of course, there's the spying thing, which many would probably say is necessary. But, is it worth losing one life to have a satellite? Are we really that expendable?

I’m certain that I’m not the only person around who thinks maybe we should spend more time (and money) working on things here on earth. And maybe I’m naïve or stupid, or just an emotional mother. I think, what if that were my son or daughter stuck up there in space not knowing if he or she will ever land safely on earth again? It makes me sick just to think that thought.

Surely the way to God is not through space. And it’s certainly not through satellite television.

If you can enlighten me, please do. I am open-minded to this issue, but I just don’t understand how space travel is really helping the human beings on earth.

.

2 comments:

  1. LOL Barbara. DH and I were discussing this last year. I feel the exact same way. He disagreed, but couldn't produce any credible arguments to sway me! The money in particular is obscene. Think of all the good humanitarian things that could be done with that money - never mind the deficit! And it's not just the US... lots of little countries (like Ireland) are spending millions for one of their citizens to hitch a ride and for what? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, my husband and I have discussed this several times. He likes to watch the Science Channel and I always have something to say when it comes to space programs. Here I thought I was the only one who sees it as a silly waste of money when so many are suffering.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!