Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, July 12, 2007

Where Do You Stand on Harry?


With the release of the newest Harry Potter movie this week, I fear I will have to defend my position on him to friends and family, again. It's not that I am literally afraid to defend my position on Harry, but like so many things I defend, as a homeschooling parent, it does get old. Especially since I'm likely to have the debate with the same people with whom I always have this debate.

I admit, we read the first two Harry Potter books, at least my older two sons did. And I, like most other parents in America, was thrilled by my children's sudden interest in reading fiction. My boys have always been non-fiction readers, seemingly tortured by the mere thought of reading "a story." So, when they became absorbed in the Harry Potter books, I was excited by their interest. I too read the first book, and we all viewed the first two movies. I heard fundamental Christians make the argument that Harry was evil, and I poo-pooed their arguments. Couldn't they see it was just fun?

Well, apparently early on in the Harry craze I just hadn't heard the right arguments. Or maybe I just never heard a Catholic argument. There have been many times that I wish our church would be more vocal about the evils of which we should just steer clear. I know that our church is very large and there are many differing opinions within. But, please, just tell us.

Thank goodness for Catholic homeschooling. Among many things of which I have become educated is Harry Potter. I have found some great articles, written by those much more knowledgeable than I, and they convinced me that Harry is not to be trifled with.

I am not telling others what to think about Harry Potter. I am the parent of four children, however, who I pray I will to send to heaven, and God has given me the duty of making these decisions for them. Unfortunately, they've had to make the Harry Potter argument a few times, also. So, we talk about it and they understand, as much as they are able, why Harry Potter is not for us.

I don't have all of the articles that I have read on the series, but I have bookmarked a few. I believe I've lost track of my favorite article, but, I will tell you that the author got my attention when he posed the question (and this is paraphrased), "If Satan wanted to be successful in tempting young people, wouldn't it be important to get the adults to buy into it as well?" I started thinking (and I'm not implying that JK Rowling is Satan, but Satan uses people of this world to get what he wants) that our children have been completely sucked into this Harry Potter craze, and all of the adults involved in their lives (parents, teachers, librarians, etc.) have been egging them on.

I've already made my decision about Harry et al, and I know there are some good books out there, written by Catholics, but I'm not interested in doing any more research. I'm sticking to my guns, no matter how difficult my decision is to defend. There are however, some good articles out there, if you're interested in doing your own research: here is really good one about why we shouldn't mess with witchcraft -- even just passively reading about it; and here is a good one about the dangers of desensitizing kids to witchcraft and also about why Narnia is different than Harry.

I know it will be hard to keep a straight face (and not roll my eyes heavenward) when I next have a Harry Potter debate, but I will remember my favorite beautitude:

Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me.
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.
Matthew 5:11-12


4 comments:

  1. As a fellow Catholic homeschooling parent, I couldn't agree with you more.

    Years ago, when the first Harry Potter book was newly published and my kids were too young for the series, I looked into the books. I figured as the kids got older, we'd read them aloud and counter any difficulties together. My attitude completely changed when I went to a Harry Potter site -- official or unofficial, I don't even recall -- which had a web link directly to an occult site. At that moment I knew we'd never touch Harry Potter. Any book that links (or has fans who link) that closely to the occult, has no place in our home or on our book lists.

    Thank you for bringing these good articles to light once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara-

    Thank-you for posting those links. I had been "on the fence" with this issue, as it hadn't really come up in our home yet. My general thinking was, like yours "It's just one more thing those fundamentalists are trying to shelter their kids from the world."

    However, this past week ds-10 asked if he could read these books. (in the back of my mind I was thinking "great, one more thing I'm going to have to defend to my Baptist friends." So I told him, "We'll see." Then I prayed, and lo and behold what is on your blog?!

    SO! Perhaps the reason it hadn't come up until now is that I wasn't ready with a good answer. I'm not sure that he's completely convinced, since his firends and even thier mom are all reading these books and seeing the movies. But I trust that we'll find something even better to have him read. (He's already read all of the Narnia books.)

    Anyway, the Spirit worked through you. God Bless,

    Tracy from OEL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,
    I seriously explained to my kids why God would not want us to read Harry Potter or watch the movies, and they may not always be happy about it (like tonight when their cousins were seeing the movie), but they always know what's right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I haven't really made up my mind on whether or not Harry is a good series, it's the children's behaviour in the books that bothers me more. A better series of books are those written by John Bellairs. The writer was Catholic I believe and the morals are better. Magic is definitely shown to be something that is not to be messed with. You can find him at the library, I think his works have been more or less forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!