Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, March 08, 2007

Ox-Cart Man

I love finding a new-old book.

Kat at No fighting, No biting! listed some of her favorite picture books, and I reserved some of them from the library (one of my favorite activities -- reserving books from the library that someone else has really enjoyed -- it's almost a sure thing.)

The Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall was one of those titles. This book reminds of the life I sometimes think I should have had. The simple life of a farmer and his family. Making and growing what they eat and use. Needing nothing other than what supports their simple life.

I know, that's easy to say when I have a clothes washing machine and a dish washing machine and a mini-van and, a grocery store, etc. But some part of me longs for a very simple life. Maybe I have the soul of a farmer's wife. Maybe that's why I love hanging my clothes to dry outside, and baking bread and sewing quilts. It's simple and practical. And that is the life of the Ox-Cart Man and his family.

Highly recommended by this simple soul.

3 comments:

  1. I should probably appologize to the librarian who has to put together the giant list of books I reserve. I would love to explain that I am not really that lazy or anything. I just have a tendency to tempoary amnesia when I walk through the library doors. If I don't request it while I am thinking of it you can bet by the time I get to the library that thought will be half way to Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matilda, I have the same problem -- when faced with shelves and shelves of books I cannot think of one author's name and come home with garbage in my bag!! My only hope for good literature is the reserve option, and thank God for my library's drive-up window!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drive up window? OK, now I am really jealous! Just kidding!

    We have recently started the weekly practice of sending the kids with Daddy to the library. He is so much better at picking out books than I am! He comes home with armloads for each of them, all the books I put on reserve and coffee to boot! (And I get a whole hour alone!)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!