Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Happy day-before-Thanksgiving






The other night I had a dream -- one of those dreams. I've written about them before. They are the kind which do not require an analyst to tell you what they mean. This one meant I was not feeling ready for Thanksgiving -- at all.

In my dream, I was coming out of the doctor's office and the doctor was walking me out...to my bike. She started to say goodbye and I said "you've never told me what my due date is" and she said "we'll do that next time." I said "but I don't have any of the baby's things ready so I really need to know" and then she waved goodbye and walked away. Due date -- yes, I was pregnant, but big pregnant. How could I not know when I was due?

Well, it was a dream.

After the doctor waved goodbye, I got on my bicycle -- yes, big pregnant me got on my bicycle -- and then I started cycling down a really long hill (now that I think of it, it should have been uphill, but it was downhill), but before I got to the bottom I had to brake hard because the sidewalks were really crowded and the bicycle in front of me had broken down. When I braked hard my tire popped and my sandals broke.

??

So I had to walk my bike with my broken sandals and I wanted to call my husband for help, but didn't have a cell phone. I don't think anyone had cell phones because there were banks and banks of public phones -- the kind you never see anymore. And come to think of it, everyone looked like they were Chinese.

??

But there were people at most of the phones and those that didn't have people were broken because my dime, yes, a dime, kept coming right out. And then the dream ended.



Ok, do you think maybe the bicycle and my sandals represent my broken old body?

And the doctor thing...the doctor was actually the doctor who treats my uro-gynocology issues. I think I might share the dream with her the next time I see her. She is my age and might get a kick out of me being pregnant and coming to her (she is not an ob), and if she thinks about it, she might realize the dream probably means that, at some level, conscious or not, I think she is not really resolving some issues.

And being pregnant and not knowing my due date? Well, Thanksgiving is this week and I was not ready. At all. But, the goods news is, Faith wants to go shopping with my mom on Friday (at the mall, yes) and my mom told her that if she doesn't help me before Thanksgiving, then no-go. Yesterday, she was actually thinking of chores to do, and then did them...a miracle I tell you. So, almost all the chores are done and I'm feeling better about Thanksgiving. The big kids will be home tonight, I'm not cooking dinner, but they will be here to peel potatoes today and tomorrow and lift big turkeys for me, and it should all be good.

So if I have time tomorrow, I'll post pictures of the tables...you know I love doing the tables -- the very best part. And I hope you are feeling ready for your Thanksgiving -- no broken bicycles, sandals or pay phones. No unknown due dates. And if you are traveling, prayers for very safe travels.

May God be with you and bless you.






4 comments:

  1. I've been wondering where you've been and how you're doing - I had no idea you were expecting! ;-) That's really quite a few stresses to combine all together into one dream. You poor dear. I hope you get some rest and a good night's sleep without bicycles or hills or sandals or phones...
    I hope you and yours have a most lovely, blessed Thanksgiving tomorrow. (and a very restful Friday)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny dream...it didn't mean a thing..except you can feel the anxiety even in your dreams, can't you?

    Blessed blessed Thanksgiving wishes for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Barbara! I hope that everything about Thanksgiving went well and you had a beautiful day with your family. I can't wait to see photos of your tables, because they're always so lovely! I hope you are able to relax and rest this weekend! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I did snort at the imagine of you walking away confused and heavily pregnant to hop on bike to ride home.

    Not your broken body, the broken sandals et al are par for the season. Not being ready and feeling overwhelmed.

    Happy Thanksgiving and lots of love!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!